Goldman Sachs Group Inc is out as co-adviser of the sale of Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co, the world's third-biggest shipyard.
Korea Development Bank reversed its earlier decision to have Goldman be a preferred bidder as co-adviser of the sale of a 50.4 percent stake in Daewoo Shipbuilding, the state-run bank said in an e-mailed statement yesterday.
The bank and Goldman “failed to reach an agreement” on terms of the contract as stake-sale adviser, the statement said.
Christopher Jun, Goldman’s Seoul-based spokesman, declined to comment on the announcement by telephone.
PRIVATIZATION
The bank is the biggest shareholder of Daewoo Shipbuilding, with a 31 percent stake, which the bank is selling as it prepares for its own privatization. Korea Asset Management Corp, a state- run agency set up to liquidate bad debt, holds 19 percent.
“A procedural delay in the Daewoo Shipbulding merger is inevitable with this move,” said Jeong Dong-ik, an analyst at CJ Investment & Securities Co.
“Still, if Korea Development Bank finds a new arranger who’s free from interest conflicts, that could make up for the delay by avoiding a clash with its union and public criticism,” Jeong said.
He rates Daewoo Shipbuilding a “buy.”
Daewooo Shipbuilding’s labor union last month authorized a strike to protest the plan to sell the shipyard stake. They haven’t walked off the job yet.
NO CONTRACT
Korea Development Bank on April 21 said Goldman would help the bank arrange the sale of controlling stake in Daewoo Shipbuilding and planned to sign an agreement soon to jointly handle the deal. The contract hasn’t been signed yet, Jun said.
Daewoo Shipbuilding has a market value of 8.24 trillion won (US$7.9 billion) based on the stock’s closing price on Friday.
The Korean-language Internet newswire Edaily earlier reported that Korea Development decided not to hire Goldman as the sale arranger because of potential interest conflict related to Goldman’s stake in a Chinese shipyard, citing unidentified industry officials.
A total of 17 companies had submitted proposals to handle the shipyard stake sale, including UBS AG, South Korea’s Samsung Securities Co., Woori Investment & Securities Co and Daewoo Securities Co, the Edaily report said.
A preferred bidder for the shipbuilder could be picked as early as August, Kim Young-kee, executive director at Korea Development Bank, said on March 26.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats