Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte yesterday announced she would run for president of the Southeast Asian nation of 116 million in 2028.
Duterte, who is embroiled in a bitter feud with Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, was impeached last year only to see the country’s Supreme Court throw the case out over procedural issues.
Her announcement comes just days before her father, former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte, begins a pretrial hearing at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Netherlands over crimes against humanity allegedly committed as part of a brutal crackdown on drugs.
Photo: AP
“I offer my life, my strength and my future in the service of our nation,” the 47-year-old vice president told a news conference where she assailed Marcos’ record. “I am Sara Duterte. I will run for president of the Philippines.”
Sara Duterte accused Marcos of corruption in her brief speech, saying he had failed to live up to his word during the short-lived alliance that saw them storm to a landslide victory in the 2022 presidential election.
“In the first few months of our terms, I already saw Bongbong Marcos Jr’s lack of sincerity regarding the promises made during the campaign, as well as his sworn duty to the nation,” she said, using Marcos’s nickname.
Ateneo Policy Center senior researcher Michael Henry Yusingco said the campaign announcement was a “big risk,” but that Sara Duterte’s solid base of support in the family stronghold Mindanao gave her a real advantage.
“Conventional thinking would say she has the best chance of winning. Survey numbers are in her favor,” he said, adding that her father’s physical absence might discourage supporters.
Cleve Arguelles, president of Manila-based WR Numero Research, said that Sara Duterte’s public declaration could be more about keeping allies in line at a time of political uncertainty.
“By projecting an inevitable 2028 run, she raises the perceived cost of defection — reminding politicians in Congress that her faction could still return to power,” he said.
The announcement was aimed at drawing “a clear line among those who are with her or against her, given the ICC and the impeachment” cases, agreed Jean Franco, political science professor at the University of the Philippines.
Philippine presidents are limited to a single six-year term, which eliminates Marcos from the field.
The Marcos administration was now likely to become more openly hostile, Yusingco said.
“Behind the scenes, they’ll probably push for her impeachment,” he said.
Sara Duterte has seen the impeachment bid against her revived in the past few weeks, with members of the Philippine clergy filing a case against her on Monday last week, one of three logged within days.
Under the Philippine constitution, an impeachment triggers a Senate trial. A guilty verdict would result in Sara Duterte being barred from politics and sidelined from the presidential race.
Meanwhile, a pair of impeachment complaints against Marcos were tossed out by the Philippine House of Representatives justice committee, which said they lacked the necessary substance.
Marcos still faces his own headwinds, with the archipelago nation roiling over a scandal involving bogus flood-control projects believed to have cost taxpayers billions of dollars.
Heavy rain and strong winds yesterday disrupted flights, trains and ferries, forcing the closure of roads across large parts of New Zealand’s North Island, while snapping power links to tens of thousands. Domestic media reported a few flights had resumed operating by afternoon from the airport in Wellington, the capital, although cancelations were still widespread after airport authorities said most morning flights were disrupted. Air New Zealand said it hoped to resume services when conditions ease later yesterday, after it paused operations at Wellington, Napier and Palmerston North airports. Online images showed flooded semi-rural neighborhoods, inundated homes, trees fallen on vehicles and collapsed
FRAYED: Strains between the US-European ties have ruptured allies’ trust in Washington, but with time, that could be rebuilt, the Michigan governor said China is providing crucial support for Russia’s aggression in Ukraine and could end the war with a phone call, US Ambassador to NATO Matthew Whitaker said. “China could call [Russian President] Vladimir Putin and end this war tomorrow and cut off his dual-purpose technologies that they’re selling,” Whitaker said during a Friday panel at the Munich Security Conference. “China could stop buying Russian oil and gas.” “You know, this war is being completely enabled by China,” the US envoy added. Beijing and Moscow have forged an even tighter partnership since the start of the war, and Russia relies on China for critical parts
In a softly lit Shanghai bar, graduate student Helen Zhao stretched out both wrists to have her pulse taken — the first step to ordering the house special, a bespoke “health” cocktail based on traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). “TCM bars” have popped up in several cities across China, epitomizing what the country’s stressed-out, time-poor youth refer to as “punk wellness,” or “wrecking yourself while saving yourself.” At Shanghai’s Niang Qing, a TCM doctor in a white coat diagnoses customers’ physical conditions based on the pulse readings, before a mixologist crafts custom drinks incorporating the herbs and roots prescribed for their ailments.
Two sitting Philippine senators have been identified as “coperpetrators” in former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s crimes against humanity trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC), documents released by prosecutors showed. Philippine senators Ronald Dela Rosa and Christopher Go are among eight current and former officials named in a document dated Feb. 13 and posted to the court’s Web site. ICC prosecutors have charged Duterte with three counts of crimes against humanity, alleging his involvement in at least 76 murders as part of his “war on drugs.” “Duterte and his coperpetrators shared a common plan or agreement to ‘neutralize’ alleged criminals in the Philippines