Australia plans to wrest control of a Chinese-owned port in the country’s north after a national election next month as concerns grow over a more assertive Chinese military presence.
Opposition leader Peter Dutton yesterday said he would take immediate action to bring the Port of Darwin under Australian control or into a model that would give greater assurance about the operator within six months if elected.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese late on Friday made a similar commitment.
Photo: Reuters
The Northern Territory government originally approved the 99-year lease of the port to Chinese company Landbridge Group in 2015, a decision criticized by then-US president Barack Obama. Security concerns have since grown after reports the operator was facing financial difficulties and as Chinese warships conducted live-fire exercises in international waters off Australia’s eastern seaboard.
“A mistake was made many years ago in relation to the lease,” Dutton told reporters. “We live in the most precarious period since the end of World War II, since 1945, and I think it’s appropriate that we take the actions that meet the pressures and the concerns and the threats of the time.”
The Port of Darwin is a strategic asset on Australia’s northern coastline and is home to a base for thousands of US marines.
Albanese said the port needed to be in “Australian hands.”
“We will enter into negotiations to do that,” Albanese told the Australian Broadcasting Corp late on Friday. “That is what we’ve been doing informally through potential buyers up to this point already, and if it reaches a point where the Commonwealth needs to directly intervene, then we’d be prepared to do that.”
When relations between Australia and China deteriorated during the COVID-19 pandemic, questions were raised over whether the lease was in the long-term national interest.
The Australian Department of Defence was asked to review the agreement in 2021, but two years later a decision was made that there were no national security concerns as a result of the deal.
Federal and territory authorities have been discussing how to deal with uncertainty around the port, since reports first emerged in November last year of Landbridge’s difficulties.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term