Britain’s Prince Andrew sent Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a letter on his birthday every year as part of a “communication channel” to support the British royal’s platform for entrepreneurs, court documents published on Friday showed.
The documents came to light following a legal challenge brought by Chinese businessman Yang Tengbo (楊騰波), who was described as a “close confidant” of Andrew and was banned from Britain on the grounds he was a suspected Chinese spy.
Yang, who has said that “the widespread description of me as a ‘spy’ is entirely untrue,” is appealing against the rejection of his challenge to the decision to ban him from the country.
Photo: Reuters
Documents released by the Special Immigration Appeals Commission included a witness statement provided by Dominic Hampshire, who became Andrew’s senior adviser in 2019.
Hampshire said in the statement that Andrew had regular communication with China’s Xi in relation to the prince’s Pitch@Palace initiative to encourage entrepreneurs.
“The Duke has always had a communication channel with the president, largely to support the success of Pitch@Palace in China, and this was never hidden,” Hampshire said.
“The Duke sends a letter to the president for his birthday each year,” he added. “The Royal Household, including the late queen were fully aware of this communication — it was certainly accepted, and it may be fair to say that perhaps even encouraged — it was an open channel of communication that was useful to have.”
Hampshire’s witness statement also said that in late 2023 and early last year, he had two meetings with Andrew and King Charles about an international financial initiative, after Yang was banned from the UK.
Yang was banned from the UK after the contents of his phone were downloaded when he was stopped under counterterrorism laws at a British border in 2021.
That revealed that Andrew authorized Yang to set up the Eurasia Fund to engage with potential partners and investors in China, a December ruling said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term