Israeli troops moved into an area of northern Gaza to expand what they call a security zone around the edge of the enclave, the military said yesterday, days after the Israeli government announced plans to seize large areas with an operation in the south.
Soldiers carrying out the operation in Shejaia, a suburb east of Gaza City in the north, were letting civilians out via organized routes, the military said in a statement.
Israel issued evacuation warnings in the area on Thursday and hundreds of residents streamed out, some carrying their belongings as they walked, others on donkey carts and bikes or in vans.
Photo: AP
Gaza health authorities said that Israeli forces killed at least 27 people in an airstrike on a school building in Gaza City where displaced families were sheltering.
The military said the Dar al-Arqam school building in Tuffah neighborhood in Gaza City had been used a command and control center by Hamas militants and accused the fighters of deliberately using civilian infrastructure as bases.
Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have been fleeing their homes in the past few days in one of the biggest mass exoduses of the war, as Israeli forces have moved to expand the territory under their control.
On the southern edge of Gaza, Israeli troops have been consolidating around the ruins of the city of Rafah.
Israel has not fully explained its long-term aim for the areas it is now seizing as a security zone.
Gaza residents say they believe the aim is to permanently depopulate swathes of land, including some of Gaza’s last farmland and water infrastructure.
The military said it had killed numerous militants and dismantled infrastructure.
Palestinians say Israel’s ultimate aim is to displace Gaza’s population permanently, in line with a plan announced by US President Donald Trump to turn the enclave into a waterfront resort under US control.
Israel says it would encourage Palestinians who wish to leave voluntarily.
Israeli troops resumed their operation in Gaza on March 18, following a two month truce.
Ministers have said the operation would continue until 59 hostages still held in Gaza are returned.
Hamas says it will free them only under a deal that brings a permanent end to the war.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term