Israeli Minister of Defense Israel Katz yesterday announced a major expansion of a military operation in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, saying the army would seize “large areas” of the Palestinian territory.
The defense chief in a statement said that Israel would expand its presence in Gaza to “destroy and clear the area of terrorists and terrorist infrastructure.”
The expanded operation would “seize large areas that will be incorporated into Israeli security zones,” he said, without saying how much territory Israel would take.
Photo: AFP
The announcement comes after he said last week the Israeli military would soon “operate with full force” in additional parts of Hamas-run Gaza.
In February, Katz announced plans to set up an agency for the “voluntary departure” of Palestinians from the Gaza Strip.
That came after Israel expressed a commitment to a proposal from US President Donald Trump to take over the territory after relocating its 2.4 million Palestinian inhabitants.
Israel resumed intense bombing of Gaza on March 18 and then launched a new ground offensive, ending a nearly two-month ceasefire with Hamas.
Gaza’s civil defense agency said at least 15 people, including children, were killed in Israeli airstrikes on homes in Khan Yunis and the Nuseirat refugee camp at dawn yesterday.
The health ministry in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip said on Tuesday that 1,042 people have been killed in the territory since Israel resumed military operations.
The idea of forcing Gazans to leave the devastated territory for neighboring countries, including Egypt and Jordan, was first floated by Trump.
It has since been seized on by right-wing Israeli politicians, including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has vowed to implement it.
On Sunday, the prime minister offered to let Hamas leaders leave Gaza, but demanded the group abandon its arms.
Netanyahu has rejected domestic criticism that his government — one of the most right-wing in Israel’s history — was not doing enough to secure the release of hostages.
“We are negotiating under fire... We can see cracks beginning to appear” in Hamas’ positions during ceasefire talks, he told his Cabinet.
In the “final stage,” Netanyahu said “Hamas will lay down its weapons. Its leaders will be allowed to leave.”
Hamas has expressed a willingness to step down from ruling Gaza, but has warned its weapons are a “red line.”
Egypt, Qatar and the US are attempting to again broker a ceasefire and secure the release of Israeli hostages still held in Gaza.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver