A Chinese construction company is facing questions over the deadly collapse of a Bangkok skyscraper — the only major building in the Thai capital to fall in a catastrophic earthquake that has killed more than 2,000 people in Thailand and neighboring Myanmar.
The 30-story tower, still under construction, was to house government offices, but the shaking reduced the structure to a pile of rubble in seconds, killing at least 13 people and injuring nine.
It was the deadliest single incident in Thailand after Friday last week’s magnitude 7.7 quake, with the majority of the kingdom’s 20 fatalities thought to be workers on the building site and hopes fading for about 70 still trapped. Sprawling Bangkok bristles with countless high-rise blocks, but none have reported major damage, prompting many to ask why the block under construction gave way.
Photo :AFP
“We have to investigate where the mistake happened,” said Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra, who has ordered a probe into the materials and safety standards at the construction site.
“What happened from the beginning since it was designed? How was this design approved? This was not the first building in the country,” she told reporters on Saturday.
The development near Bangkok’s popular Chatuchak market was a joint project involving China Railway No. 10 Engineering Group (Thailand) — an offshoot of China Railway Group Ltd (CREC), one of the world’s largest construction and engineering contractors.
Testing of steel rebars — struts used to reinforce concrete — from the site has found that some of the metal used was substandard, Thai safety officials said on Monday.
Thai Minister of Industry Akanat Promphan announced that a committee would be set up to investigate the issue, saying one supplier of the steel had failed safety tests in December last year and might have its license withdrawn.
He did not name the supplier.
There were questions to be answered, King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology civil engineering professor Ladkrabang Suchatwee Sunaswat said.
“We have to look at the design. At the beginning, how they calculate, how they design, and in the rescue mission, how they collect evidence at the same time,” he told reporters on Saturday.
The local partner in the project, Italian-Thai Development offered condolences on Monday to quake victims, but said it was “confident” the incident would not impact its other projects.
Beijing-owned building conglomerate CREC is one of the world’s largest construction and engineering contractors, with projects in more than 90 countries and regions, its Web site says.
The Bangkok construction collapse is not the first time CREC and its subsidiaries have come under fire after deadly incidents.
A tide of anger was unleashed at authorities in Serbia following the deaths of 14 people when a roof collapsed in November last year at a train station built by CREC subsidiaries — largely focused on reports of alleged shortcuts made with building projects.
Roisai Wongsuban of the Migrant Working Group advocacy organization said there have been a large number of complaints from migrant workers employed by Chinese companies in Thailand about lax safety standards and poor labor rights.
“For Chinese companies we can’t see the human rights due diligence, to see if labor standards are being met,” she said. “There is always a power imbalance between employer and employee.”
Bangkok’s construction boom is powered by an army of laborers, a large proportion of them migrant workers from Myanmar, toiling on hot building sites for low pay.
The Migrant Working Group has called on Thailand’s labor ministry to hold the employers involved in the construction project criminally liable if they have failed to meet health and safety laws.
China Rail No. 10 Engineering Thailand and CREC did not comment on the issue.
An announcement celebrating the completion of the main structure at the Chatuchak construction site posed on China Rail No. 10’s official WeChat channel was deleted soon after Friday’s quake.
Local media said that four Chinese nationals were apprehended on Saturday for attempting to retrieve documents from the collapse site.
However, China is the largest source of foreign direct investment in Thailand, injecting US$2 billion into the kingdom last year, according to Open Development Thailand. The Thai government typically handles anything linked to Beijing with kid gloves.
An investigation into the collapse launched on Monday would not be “specific to one country,” Paetongtarn said.
“We do not want one particular country to think we are only keeping eyes on [it],” she said on Tuesday.
At a small shelter near the site on Monday, 45-year-old Naruemol Thonglek waited for news of her boyfriend, electrician Kyi Than, who was missing under the enormous mound of concrete and twisted metal being lifted by mechanical diggers.
“I’m devastated,” she said. “I’ve never seen anything like this in my entire life.”
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but