South Korean police have launched a probe into a man suspected of accidentally igniting the country’s worst wildfires in history while cleaning his relatives’ grave sites, an investigator said yesterday.
More than a dozen fires have been fanned by high winds and dry conditions, killing 30 people and burning more than 48,000 hectares of forest, the worst of its kind recorded in South Korea, according to the South Korean Ministry of the Interior.
In North Gyeongsang province’s Uiseong — the hardest-hit region with 12,800 hectares of its woodland affected — a 56-year-old man was suspected of mistakenly starting a fire while tending to his grandparents’ grave sites on March 22, an official from the provincial police said.
Photo: Reuters
“We booked him without detention for investigation on Saturday on suspicions of inadvertently starting the wildfires,” the official, who declined to be named, said.
Investigators would summon him for questioning once the on-site inspection is complete, which could take more than a month, the official said.
The suspect’s daughter reportedly told investigators that her father tried to burn tree branches that were hanging over the graves with a cigarette lighter.
The flames were “carried by the wind and ended up sparking a wildfire,” the daughter was quoted as saying to the authorities, Yonhap news agency reported.
The police, who have withheld the identities of both, declined to confirm the account.
The fires have been fueled by strong winds and ultra-dry conditions, with the area experiencing below-average rainfall for months, following South Korea’s hottest year on record last year.
Among the 30 dead is a helicopter pilot, who died when his aircraft crashed in a mountain mountainous area.
The blaze also destroyed several historic sites, including the Gounsa temple complex in Uiseong, which is believed to have been originally built in the seventh century.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver