Angry at Russia’s inaction after a shock Ukrainian offensive put her parents on the other side of the front line, Lyubov Prilutskaya is one of the few Russians willing to speak out.
Prilutskaya was one of many who lost contact with loved ones after Kyiv’s troops launched a major incursion into Russia’s Kursk border region in August last year, seizing control of dozens of settlements and opening a new front in the nearly three-year conflict.
The 37-year-old has spent the past five months trying to locate her elderly mother and father — to no avail.
Photo: EPA-EFE
In despair she turned to social media to accuse the authorities of “incompetence” over their failure to track down missing people, in an emotional video published earlier this month.
The immediate spark was a list published by the local governor and Russia’s rights ombudsman that was presented as an official register of missing people. She said the 517 names were an incomplete list and even included the names of some people known to be dead.
She called it a “spit in the face” for those who had spent months fruitlessly searching for news of lost relatives.
Such public attacks on the authorities are rare in Russia.
Moscow has outlawed criticism of the Ukraine offensive under strict military censorship laws, punishable by years in prison.
In comments under her video on the VKontakte social media platform, some praised Prilutskaya’s “courage” and “honesty.”
Others warned her.
However, in a phone interview with AFP she said she was “not afraid” and that staying silent was “simply impossible.”
“I see that nothing is being done to search for the people left under occupation,” she said, expressing her “huge anger” at official inaction.
Families trying to find their relatives are left “completely in the dark,” she said.
“In order to somehow express our outrage, we are forced to go on social media, because it is impossible to do it any other way,” she said.
An estate agent and mother of four, Prilutskaya lives in the regional capital of Kursk, about 90km from the border.
Her parents had refused to leave their village of Zaoleshenka, 10km from Ukraine, despite increasing drone attacks ahead of the August offensive.
In a photo of the couple, Prilutskaya’s father sports a bushy mustache, while her mother’s fine hair is pulled back into a ponytail.
Before retiring, he was a farm worker while she worked as an agriculture inspector, living in Zaoleshenka virtually their entire lives.
“My parents have nothing except their house,” Prilutskaya said.
They were last in touch on Aug. 5 last year, when Prilutskaya told her parents to prepare to leave as she would come to collect them.
Within 24 hours, Ukrainian tanks were in the adjacent village.
Phone lines were down and communication across the new front line had become impossible. In the frantic search for accurate information that followed, Prilutskaya said she realized she could not rely on officials, accusing them of “hushing up” the plight of those searching for missing loved ones.
Amid criticism of the list of missing people, Prilutskaya said she received a phone call and letter from Russian ombudswoman Tatyana Moskalkova, who admitted the register was “far from exhaustive.”
Moskalkova said last week she had held a rare meeting with her Ukrainian counterpart in which they discussed “the search for missing residents of the Kursk region.”
The Kursk regional government had yet to reply to an AFP request to comment. Kursk Governor Alexander Khinshtein has pushed back against some of the criticism, writing on Telegram that Ukraine was “holding onto Russian citizens.”
On Saturday, dozens of residents confronted him at a small-scale protest to demand the return of those in the occupied zones and better conditions for people displaced by the fighting.
Ukraine has returned a handful of residents to Russia after they were caught in areas it had taken control of.
The Ukrainian army spokesman for the occupied zone, Oleksiy Dmytrashkivsky, said about 2,000 civilians were still living there.
He called the Russian list of missing people a “lie,” but said he had no information on Prilutskaya’s case.
Artillery and drones made the area extremely dangerous, he said, but added that Ukraine had managed to locate about 800 people after their relatives and friends got in touch.
However, reaching out to the Ukrainian military is fraught with risks under Russian law.
“So what options are left?” Prilutskaya asked. “Only public appeals.”
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver