Furious at the prospect of a US government ban on social media platform TikTok, US users have flocked to another Chinese-owned app in droves, many with a defiant message: “Take my data.”
TikTok has become another battleground showcasing China-US tensions, with the administration of US President Joe Biden accusing the app of allowing Beijing to collect data and spy on users — claims denied by China and TikTok’s owner ByteDance. The US passed a law last year forcing ByteDance to either sell the platform or shut it down by Sunday.
With that deadline looming, Xiaohongshu (小紅書), also known as Little Red Book — a lifestyle-focused Instagram-meets-Pinterest alternative — surged to the top of the Apple App Store downloads on Monday.
Photo: AP
The hashtag “tiktokrefugee” had more than 100 million views by Tuesday evening.
“They are trying to ban TikTok, because they said China is stealing information. They don’t ban any American company from stealing our information,” said user penguinpepperpia, who has more than 264,000 TikTok followers.
The content creator downloaded Xiaohongshu rather than return to US platforms such as Meta’s Instagram and Facebook, which they characterized as apps for “older people” that also “steal your personal information and sell it to other companies.”
“That is why many Americans don’t care anymore, and we would rather let China have our information,” the user said.
Other “refugees” shared similar sentiments.
New Xiaohongshu user Adham in a video posted on Monday said: “I know our government is a little bit racist, but Chinese people, I love you guys. I don’t care if you take my data. Take it.”
The phenomenon showed how “foolish” the TikTok ban was, said Georgia Tech School of Public Policy professor Milton Mueller who filed a brief in opposition of the ban to the US Supreme Court.
“It is deliciously ironical that the threat of a ban is backfiring so quickly, even before it is put into place,” he said.
“It does seem as if the TikTok ban is pushing users towards other apps that have a much less clear division between the Chinese Communist Party and the app itself,” Duke University’s Robyn Caplan said.
Neither Xiaohongshu nor ByteDance commented on the situation when asked.
What the phenomenon showed was that the Biden administration’s strategy toward Chinese technology of “small yard, high fence” was not effective, the London School of Economics and Political Science’s Meng Bingchun said.
“The yard keeps getting bigger, and the fence is leaky,” Meng said. “Worse still, in this case, those living within the fence can be migratory in the digital space.”
Until Monday, Xiaohongshu was popular primarily among Chinese-speaking users. It boasted 300 million monthly active users at the end of 2023. Xiaohongshu skews heavily toward lifestyle content.
It is seen as facing relatively less censorship than other platforms: Users can be found posting LGBTQ content and discussing the merits of women remaining single, topics often considered sensitive in China.
For “native” Xiaohongshu users on Monday, the influx of US users was a head-scratcher, but also provided an unexpected opportunity for cultural exchange.
Some even asked for help with English homework.
In public group chats on the platform, new users asked for translations of slang terms, as well as keywords to search for content they wanted.
“It’s funny and ironic that the Americans and the Chinese are meeting online under the circumstance that the US government is banning TikTok ... similar to what the Chinese government has been doing for ages to American apps,” Amanda Zhang, 26, said.
The part-time pet content creator, who studies in the US, said she was worried the US government might move to ban Xiaohongshu, too, if it gained enough traction.
It remains unclear what the long-term implications of the shift would be.
Xiaohongshu’s main challenge to retaining these new users is translation, Caplan said.
“My hunch is that what we are witnessing now is more of a short-term reaction than a long-term trend,” Meng said. “The question now is whether there will be a critical mass of these refugees to achieve the desired network effect for the platform, and whether Xiaohongshu will respond quickly enough to harness the new users.”
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver