France on Friday showed off to the world the gleaming restored interior of Notre-Dame cathedral, a week before the 850-year-old medieval edifice reopens following painstaking restoration after the devastating 2019 fire.
French President Emmanuel Macron conducted an inspection of the restoration, broadcast live on television, saying workers had done the “impossible” by healing a “national wound” after the fire on April 19, 2019.
While every effort has been made to remain faithful to the original look of the cathedral, an international team of designers and architects have created a luminous space that has an immediate impact on the visitor.
Photo: AFP
The floor shimmers and the freshly cleaned walls dazzle, while a subtle combination of natural and artificial light creates a near-theatrical impression.
“You have achieved what was thought impossible,” Macron told restoration workers and officials who packed Notre-Dame, after he toured the cathedral.
“The blaze at Notre-Dame was a national wound, and you have been its remedy through will, through work, through commitment,” he said, adding that the cathedral’s re-opening would be a “shock of hope.”
Photo: AFP
Notre-Dame would welcome visitors and worshipers again on Saturday next week, after a sometimes challenging restoration.
World leaders are expected to attend, but the guest list has yet to be revealed.
Macron toured the key areas of the cathedral, including the nave, choir and chapel, and spoke to experts.
Photo: AFP
“Sublime,” said a visibly pleased Macron, who was accompanied by Paris Archbishop Laurent Ulrich, plus French Minister of Culture and Heritage Rachida Dati, Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo and other officials.
“It is much more welcoming,” he added, praising Notre-Dame’s pale-colored stones, adding that everyone involved in the reconstruction should “be proud.”
After the devastating fire Macron set the ambitious goal to rebuild Notre-Dame within five years and make it “even more beautiful” than before, a target that French authorities said has been met.
The “building site of the century” was a “challenge that many considered insane,” Macron said.
About 250 companies and hundreds of experts were brought in for restoration work costing hundreds of millions of euros.
All 2,000 people who contributed to the effort had been invited to Friday’s event.
The restoration cost a total of nearly 700 million euros (more than US$740 million).
It was financed from the 846 million euros in donations that poured in from 150 countries in a surge of solidarity.
The 19th-century gothic spire, which collapsed dramatically in the blaze, has been resurrected with an exact copy of the original.
The stained windows have regained their color, the walls shining after fire stains were cleaned and a restored organ is ready to thunder out again.
Unseen to visitors is a new mechanism to protect against future fires, a discreet system of pipes ready to release water in case of a new disaster.
Notre-Dame, which saw 12 million visitors in 2017, expects to receive an even higher figure of 14 to 15 million after the reopening, church authorities said.
French ministers have also floated the idea of charging tourists an entrance fee to the site, but the Paris diocese has said free admission was an important principle to maintain.
Macron had hoped to speak inside Notre-Dame to mark the reopening on Saturday, but after negotiations with the diocese, he is now set to speak in the forecourt only.
France is by its constitution a secular country with a strict division between church and state.
Sunday next week would see the first Mass and consecration of the new altar.
Macron in December last year said he had invited Pope Francis to the reopening of the cathedral, but the head of the Catholic Church announced in September, to the surprise of some observers, that he would not be coming.
Instead, the pontiff is making a landmark visit the following weekend to the French island of Corsica.
The French Catholic Church has in recent years been rocked by a succession of sexual abuse allegations against clerics, including most recently the monk known as Abbe Pierre who became a household name for providing aid to the destitute.
More than five years on, the investigation into what caused the fire is ongoing, with initial findings pointing to an accidental cause such as a short circuit, a welder’s torch or a cigarette.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver