Kenyan police on Thursday fired tear gas at protesters in Nairobi calling for the president’s resignation as a new Cabinet was being sworn in, the latest in the deadly turmoil that has gripped the East African nation over the summer.
Protests in Kenya first erupted in June, with initial calls for legislators to vote against a controversial finance bill that proposed increased taxes amid the high cost of living. Antigovernment protesters stormed the parliament on June 25, drawing police fire after legislators voted to pass the bill.
More than 50 people have died since the demonstrations began, the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights said.
Photo: AFP
On Thursday, businesses in the city were closed and public transport vehicles remained out of the central business district. Police also set up roadblocks on major roads to Nairobi. President William Ruto’s office, where the new ministers were sworn in, also remained cordoned off.
Police said that 174 protesters were arrested on Thursday and protest organizers did not notify them of their intention to demonstrate.
“We ensured adequate deployment of security personnel and cautioned members of the public to avoid crowded areas that were likely to turn riotous,” Acting Inspector General of Police Gilbert Masengeli said.
The protests were organized by activists upset with Ruto even after he dismissed almost all of his ministers and added opposition members to what he called a “broad-based” government.
However, other major urban centers, including the lakeside city of Kisumu — an opposition stronghold that has previously witnessed protests — remained calm with some residents telling reporters they were not protesting because the opposition members had been incorporated into the new Cabinet.
Civil society groups, along with the Law Society of Kenya, called in a joint statement for the upholding of human rights during demonstrations and urged police to refrain from deploying non-uniformed officers and using unmarked vehicles.
“We reiterate constitutional protection of all persons to peaceably protest, picket and to present petitions to the authorities,” the statement said.
Nicole Awuori said she was demanding justice for those killed during previous protests. “I am protesting for the people who have missed out on so many opportunities because of broken systems,” she said.
Another protester, Emmanuel, who used only one name because he feared for his safety, said he would keep rallying until the president resigns.
“We are here to force him to leave office and go home,” Emmanuel said.
Police surrounded the home of Jimi Wanjigi, a prominent businessman with political aspirations who has also been calling for Ruto’s resignation.
Police chief Masengeli said tear-gas cannisters and phones were recovered from a vehicle at Wanjigi’s home.
Ruto on Wednesday condemned the protests and urged Kenyans to stay away from them, saying those who want change can vote him out of office in the 2027 elections.
Activists who had planned an “8/8 Liberation March” on Thursday said the day before that demonstrators would treat nonuniformed police officers as criminals.
“We shall march for our rights,” activist Kasmuel Mcoure said.
After the bill was passed in June, Ruto declined to sign it into law and sent it back to parliament, saying he had “heard Kenyans who wanted nothing to do with the bill,” but warned there would be revenue and expenditure consequences.
Protests continued with calls for Ruto’s resignation over bad governance, corruption, the incompetence of his Cabinet and lack of accountability. Ruto then dismissed all but one Cabinet minister, but the protests continued.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
SUSPICION: Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing returned to protests after attending a summit at which he promised to hold ‘free and fair’ elections, which critics derided as a sham The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen to more than 3,300, state media said yesterday, as the UN aid chief made a renewed call for the world to help the disaster-struck nation. The quake on Friday last week flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure across the country, resulting in 3,354 deaths and 4,508 people injured, with 220 others missing, new figures published by state media showed. More than one week after the disaster, many people in the country are still without shelter, either forced to sleep outdoors because their homes were destroyed or wary of further collapses. A UN estimate
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term