The South Korean government yesterday announced that it would abandon its plan to suspend the licenses of striking junior doctors as part of its efforts to convince them to return to work and resolve the nation’s monthslong medical impasse.
It was not immediately known whether the thousands of striking doctors would return to their hospitals after the announcement.
The government’s concession could also invite accusations of unfairness given its treatment of previous labor strikes and of doctors who have already returned to work.
Photo: Reuters
South Korean Minister of Health and Welfare Cho Kyoo-hong said the government has decided not to suspend the licenses of the strikers, who are medical interns and residents, regardless of whether they return to their hospitals or not.
He said the government would also offer special measures to returnees to minimize the gap in their training and help them obtain specialist licenses in time.
“After painstaking deliberations, the government has reached this decision based on an assessment that minimizing the medical vacuum in the treatment of emergency and seriously ill patients and maintaining a training system to supply specialists at the right time will serve the public interest more than anything else,” Cho said.
More than 90 percent of the nation’s 13,000 medical interns and residents walked off their jobs in February to protest the government’s plan to sharply boost medical school admissions. The walkout has significantly burdened the operations of university hospitals where they were training and threatened to disrupt South Korea’s medical services.
Some senior doctors and professors at those teaching schools supported the walkout by holding rallies and temporarily walking off their jobs or reducing their working hours.
Officials have said they want to add up to 10,000 doctors by 2035 to cope with a fast-aging population and a shortage of physicians in rural areas and in low-paying yet essential specialties like pediatrics and emergency departments.
Doctors say schools are not ready to handle such an abrupt increase in students and that it would ultimately undermine the nation’s medical services.
However, critics say physicians, one of the best-paid jobs in South Korea, are mainly worried that having more doctors would lower their future incomes.
The striking doctors suffered a major legal setback after a Seoul court in May ruled in support of the government’s plan. The Supreme Court last month upheld that ruling.
The government later took steps to withdraw its plan to suspend the licenses of doctors who returned to their hospitals, but did not do so for those who remained off the job. Only a small number of strikers have returned to work.
As of Friday last week, about 8 percent of the 13,756 medical interns and residents at about 210 teaching hospitals were working, government records show.
Government officials earlier threatened to impose three-month license suspensions on striking doctors and even indictments by prosecutors for refusing back-to-work orders. South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol — who has said illegal strikes should be dealt with in line with the law — also called the doctors’ walkout an “illegal collective action.”
The standoff created strife among doctors, with some harassing colleagues who opted not to join or continue the strike, local media reports said.
Cho said the government was aware of possible criticism over the issue of fairness in its decision not to suspend the licenses of the striking doctors.
He said patient groups and some medical officials have called for an early end of the walkout by the striking doctors.
Last month, the government finalized a plan to increase next year’s medical school enrollment by about 1,500, down from its earlier push for an increase of 2,000 students.
The current medical student enrollment cap has been unchanged at 3,058 since 2006, with doctors blocking previous government attempts to raise it with vehement protests.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver