A painting by Italian master Caravaggio, once mistakenly thought to be by an unknown artist and nearly auctioned off for a song, was unveiled on Monday at Madrid’s Museo del Prado.
Painted between 1605 and 1609, the dark, atmospheric canvas depicts a bloodied Jesus wearing a crown of thorns, his hands tied, as he is presented to the crowd by the Roman governor Pontius Pilate just before his crucifixion. Entitled Ecce Homo — Latin for “Behold the Man” — it is one of about only 60 known works by the Renaissance artist.
Three years ago, a Madrid auction house had been due to put the canvas under the hammer with an opening price of 1,500 euros (US$1,800 at the time), mistakenly attributing it to an artist from the circle of 17th-century Spanish painter Jose de Ribera.
Photo: AFP
However, just hours before the auction, the Spanish Ministry of Culture blocked the sale on concerns it was actually painted by Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio, whose works are worth millions.
The last-minute intervention came after the Prado said it had “sufficient documentary and stylistic evidence” to suggest the canvas was a Caravaggio. The artist, who lived a violent and chaotic life (1571-1610) pioneered the Baroque painting technique known as chiaroscuro, in which light and shadow are sharply contrasted.
Earlier this month, the museum said experts confirmed the painting was “without doubt, a Caravaggio masterpiece,” calling it “one of the greatest discoveries in the history of art.”
Now restored, the old master artwork went on display to the public for the first time on Monday in a one-piece exhibition called “The Lost Caravaggio.” It will remain on display for nine months.
The exhibition was made possible by the “generosity” of its new owner, who agreed to temporarily lend the work, Prado museum director Miguel Falomir told a news conference, without revealing who it was.
The painting’s emergence is “extremely important for the history of art, because there has been no new work by Caravaggio had been identified for more than 45 years,” said David Garcia Cueto, who is responsible for Italian paintings at the Prado.
Experts who have studied its history say this oil on canvas became part of the private collection of Spain’s King Felipe IV in the mid-17th century before being put on display at the residence of his son, Charles II. It was then bequeathed to the San Fernando Royal Academy of Fine Arts near Madrid’s central Puerta del Sol before being passed on to Spanish diplomat and later prime minister Evaristo Perez de Castro in 1823. When he died, it passed to his descendants, only to disappear from view for nearly two centuries until it resurfaced in April 2021. Its reappearance stunned Caravaggio experts who were “absolutely unanimous” in their recognition of the painting’s provenance, Cueto said.
“All the Caravaggio specialists are in agreement which means we are certain that this is a painting by the great master of this period,” he said.
One expert involved in the authentication process was Maria Cristina Terzaghi, an art history professor from Italy’s Roma Tre University who said the canvas underwent “radiographic” techniques and a “meticulous examination.”
She flew into Madrid after the auction was halted, saying her examination left her in no doubt.
“It was clear it was a work by Caravaggio,” she said at the time.
For her, the evidence was ample: from “the head of Christ” to the glow of his torso, the color of his cloak and “the three-dimensional nature of the three figures, who are offset in a transition that is almost cinematic.”
Spanish media reports said the owner was a British national living in Spain who had paid 36 million euros (US$39.2 million at the current exchange rate) for the 400-year-old canvas.
“The painting won’t end up in the home of the buyer” who wants to loan it to “public art collections for now,” Jorge Coll, head of London’s Colnaghi art gallery which handled the sale, told El Pais daily.
However, Falomir said its future was in the hands of its owner.
“It is a privately owned artwork so the owner will have the last word,” he said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver