Some Canadian provinces have recorded a rise in unclaimed dead bodies in the past few years, with next of kin citing funeral costs as a growing reason for not collecting loved ones’ remains.
The phenomenon has prompted at least one province to build a new storage facility, while demand for memorial fundraisers has surged.
The overall cost of a funeral in Canada at the top end has increased to about US$8,800 from about US$6,000 in 1998, industry trade group estimates showed.
Photo: Reuters
In Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, the number of unclaimed dead bodies rose to 1,183 last year from 242 in 2013, Ontario Chief Coroner Dirk Huyer said.
In most of those cases, next of kin were identified, but unable to claim the body for a variety of reasons, the most common being money.
Finances went from being the reason for 20 percent of the total unclaimed bodies in 2022 to 24 percent last year.
“It’s distressing because it’s a person who has passed and there’s nobody — family, friends or others — that are in a position to be able to provide instructions or plans for that person after their death,” Huyer said.
In Ontario, a body is officially deemed unclaimed after 24 hours, but the coroner’s office staff might spend weeks trying to find next of kin, he said.
If the relatives confirm they are unable to claim a body, the local municipality works with a funeral home to provide a simple burial.
In the meantime, the body is kept in a morgue or temperature-controlled storage facility.
“There’s always been families that are in need of additional assistance. [However] I’ve never seen the number of unclaimed remains that currently exist,” said Allan Cole, owner of the Toronto-based funeral home MacKinnon and Bowes.
In Quebec, the number of unclaimed bodies grew to 183 last year from 66 in 2013. In Alberta, the number of bodies for which no next of kin could be located to claim them rose to 200 last year from 80 in 2016.
Historically, the Health Sciences Centre in St John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador did not encounter enough unclaimed remains to warrant long-term storage, a spokesperson for Newfoundland Health Services said.
Now, in the wake of an uproar over unclaimed bodies kept in freezers outside the hospital, the province is constructing a permanent storage unit to hold remains.
“People weren’t claiming bodies because they realized they couldn’t afford to bury them,” said Jim Dinn, leader of the province’s opposition New Democratic Party. “It’s not about building a bigger storage unit: It’s about addressing the underlying cause causing the accumulation of bodies and removing the barriers so people can have a dignified burial.”
Location matters: An adult single grave with the Mount Pleasant Group on average costs US$2,800, but the price in midtown Toronto was US$34,000 as of April 1, says the Web site of the cemetery, funeral and cremation provider across the Greater Toronto Area.
The price excludes opening and closing of the grave, funeral, tombstone, taxes and other items.
A funeral can cost C$2,000 to C$12,000 (US$1,470 to US$8,819), up from about C$1,800 to C$8,000 in 1998, Funeral Services Association of Canada president Jeff Weafer said.
The number of memorial fundraisers on crowdfunding site GoFundMe has ballooned to 10,257 last year from 36 in 2013, a spokesperson for the site said.
Government support for funerals has failed to keep pace with rising funeral costs, advocates have said.
The federal government announced a C$2,500 top-up to the C$2,500 death benefit in the Canada Pension Plan in last month’s budget.
“Losing your life partner or spouse is devastating for a senior. It can also be an immense financial burden after a lifetime of hard work,” Katherine Cuplinskas, press secretary for Canadian Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland, wrote in an e-mail.
“That is why we are strengthening the Canada Pension Plan to provide a top-up to the death benefit,” she said.
That is not enough, Weafer said.
“This is not a respectful end for Canadians,” he said. “The reason deceased individuals are going unclaimed by their families is about affordability.”
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver