South Korea’s spy agency yesterday said that Pyongyang was plotting “terrorist” attacks targeting Seoul’s officials and citizens overseas, with the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs raising the alert level for diplomatic missions in five countries.
The South Korean National Intelligence Service (NIS) said it had recently “detected numerous signs that North Korea is preparing for terrorist attacks against our embassy staff or citizens in various countries, [such as] China, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East.”
“North Korea has dispatched agents to these countries to expand surveillance of the South Korean embassies and is also engaging in specific activities such as searching for South Korean citizens as potential terrorist targets,” it said in a statement.
Photo: KCNA via Reuters
The spy agency said it appeared linked to a wave of defections by elite North Koreans who were trapped overseas during the COVID-19 pandemic and are now avoiding returning home after Pyongyang eased strict border controls, having become “skeptical” of the regime.
Pyongyang treats defections as a serious crime and is believed to hand harsh punishments to transgressors, their families and even people tangentially linked to the incident.
North Korean embassy officials might be submitting false reports blaming “external” factors for voluntary defections by their colleagues, in a bid to evade punishment, the NIS said.
As a result, the North may be “plotting retaliation” against South Korean embassy staff on such pretenses, NIS added.
South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Thursday said that it had raised its anti-terrorism alert status for five of its diplomatic missions — embassies in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam as well as its consulates in Russian port city Vladivostok and China’s Shenyang.
Both Seoul and Pyongyang have embassies or consulates in all five locations.
North Korea has diplomatic ties with more than 150 countries, but the number of missions it maintains overseas has shrunk since the 1990s due to financial constraints, Seoul said.
According to South Korean Ministry of Unification, 196 North Korean defectors arrived in the South last year, with about 10 of them being from Pyongyang’s elite class, such as diplomats and possibly their children.
This marked the highest number of defections by North Korean elites to the South since 2017, Seoul said.
“The end of the pandemic has enabled North Korean agents, previously confined within their country, to travel abroad for missions, while South Koreans are also traveling abroad without any restrictions,” South Korean Association for Terrorism Studies president Lee Man-jong said. “Pyongyang appears to be targeting South Korean assets and nationals located in foreign countries with which they have established strong diplomatic ties.”
Experts say the extended overseas stay during the pandemic has led North Korean expatriates to increasingly doubt their country’s isolated regime.
“While living abroad, these North Koreans were able to send their children to normal schools, avoiding propaganda education and the constant need to be obedient to the regime,” said Ahn Chan-il, a defector-turned-researcher who runs the World Institute for North Korea Studies. “If North Korean diplomats and agents stationed abroad are continually and brutally pressured by Pyongyang to address defections by elite expats, we cannot rule out the possibility of the North plotting a terrorist attack ... against South Koreans living overseas.”
Pyongyang is suspected of being behind the 1996 killing of a South Korean consul in Vladivostok, Russia, who was attacked and killed by an unidentified assailant.
The consul, also an intelligence agent, had been monitoring Pyongyang’s illicit activities, including drug trafficking and the production of counterfeit banknotes, according to South Korean reports.
Pyongyang also launched an assassination attempt in Myanmar in 1983 when a bomb exploded in a Yangon mausoleum during a visit by then-South Korean president Chun Doo-hwan. He survived, but 21 people, including some of his ministers, were killed.
Pyongyang’s leader Kim Jong-un has declared Seoul his country’s “principal enemy,” jettisoned agencies dedicated to reunification and outreach, and threatened war over “even 0.001mm” of territorial infringement.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver