The Catholic Church in Hong Kong yesterday said that confessions by devotees to priests would remain confidential under the territory’s upcoming national security law.
Hong Kong is fast-tracking a homegrown national security law, following the one Beijing imposed in 2020 after quashing huge and sometimes violent pro-democracy protests.
The government bill — expected to be put to a legislature vote within days — proposes a maximum jail term of 14 years for any person who knows that someone would commit treason, but fails to report it to the police.
The Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong said in a statement that it “recognises that citizens have an obligation to ensure national security.”
However, the security law “will not alter the confidential nature of Confession,” the diocese added.
The diocese had “expressed its views” on the legislation, but told Agence France-Presse that it did not intend to make those views public.
UK-based activist group Hong Kong Watch earlier said the offense “directly threatens religious freedom,” as it would force priests to reveal what was said in the confessional booth against their conscience.
Hong Kong authorities defended the proposed criminal offense — which used to be called “misprision of treason” — saying that it had long existed in the territory and other common law countries.
Responding to a lawmaker’s question last week, Hong Kong Secretary for Justice Paul Lam (林定國) said it would be “very difficult to create exceptions” for people like clergy and social workers regarding the offense.
The government has said the measure “has nothing to do with freedom of religion.”
Hong Kong officials conducted a month-long public consultation on the security law and the subsequent legislative vetting took less than a week.
About 390,000 of Hong Kong’s 7.5 million people are Catholic, according to the diocese, and notable devotees include two former Hong Kong leaders.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
SUSPICION: Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing returned to protests after attending a summit at which he promised to hold ‘free and fair’ elections, which critics derided as a sham The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen to more than 3,300, state media said yesterday, as the UN aid chief made a renewed call for the world to help the disaster-struck nation. The quake on Friday last week flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure across the country, resulting in 3,354 deaths and 4,508 people injured, with 220 others missing, new figures published by state media showed. More than one week after the disaster, many people in the country are still without shelter, either forced to sleep outdoors because their homes were destroyed or wary of further collapses. A UN estimate
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term