Cansu Gol lost her baby in the rubble of Turkey’s massive earthquake a year ago. Now she spends her time trying to heal the mental scars of her two surviving children.
One suffers from trauma-related attention deficit disorder and the other from speech problems, which emerged after the disaster on Feb. 6 last year in which 50,000 died across Turkey’s southeast.
For the 33-year-old mother, the improvised schools in a container city near the quake’s epicenter in Kahramanmaras Province offer a glimmer of hope.
Photo: EPA-EFE
“My seven-year-old daughter was pulled out alive from the rubble hours after the earthquake. Now she is suffering from attention deficit disorder,” Gol said. “She didn’t cry or scream at all, instead storing all the stress inside.”
Her four-and-a-half-year-old son began to speak after joining a nursery set up in one of the containers housing hundreds of thousands of survivors of Turkey’s deadliest disaster of modern times.
“He keeps asking about his brother [who died]. He says he flew away like a bird,” the mother said.
Teachers try to create an atmosphere of normality for the kids, each one of whom has lost homes, family and friends. All have varied levels of understanding what actually occurred.
A bust of post-Ottoman Turkey’s founder, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, stands in the courtyard, just as it would at any other school in the country.
The 20-student classrooms are decorated with balloons, adding color to a camp comprised of hundreds of identical white metal containers arranged in even rows.
Just a 10-minute walk away, empty spaces recall the apartment towers that stood in this Mediterranean city, once most famous for its ice cream.
“It is just as painful for the students as it is for the teachers,” said the school’s principal, who spoke on condition of anonymity because Turkish civil servants are barred from speaking to the media without authorization.
“Many things evoke the quake: aftershocks, the month of February or simply the snowfall,” which was heavy that fatal night, he said.
His school takes care of 850 children from diverse backgrounds.
They live in a container city housing 10,000 survivors, creating a tense atmosphere that breeds occasional bouts of violence.
“Cursing, offensive gestures, kicking — things won’t go well until these families are settled in apartments,” he said.
The principal said the state was doing its best, even housing teachers in the container cities so they can be near the kids.
“In which disaster is everything perfect?” he asked. “Life goes on.”
However, that life is a constant struggle, said Sara Resitoglu, 24.
“There’s no space. All our lives are in one room,” the young mother said.
Elif Yavuz and her husband tried to rebuild their lives in the nearby city of Mersin, following the path taken by more than 3 million people who left immediately after the quake.
However, like many others, the couple eventually moved back because their seven-year-old, who has heart problems, struggled to adapt.
“I resigned myself to returning and living in a container just so that she would not be upset,” the mother said.
Her daughter was now doing well in school. Yavuz plans to buy her a new pair of shoes as a reward for another excellent report card.
Away from the container camp, Fatih Yilanci joined the multitudes who spend days scouring city ruins for scrap metal they can sell to feed their families.
His apartment was only lightly damaged, meaning that his family did not automatically qualify for a container home.
However, his neighborhood is gone, as are most of his friends, who died in the ruins.
“Kahramanmaras has turned into a ghost city,” Yilanci said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver