From computer-generated “extras” to artificial intelligence (AI) “zombies,” new restrictions against the use of AI in Hollywood were set out by the actors’ union on Friday.
The Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) reached a deal with studios such as Disney and Netflix this week to end its nearly four-month strike. Its board members on Friday voted 86 percent in favor of ratifying the agreement.
Besides a 7 percent minimum pay increase, and a new US$40 million per year fund to transfer a portion of revenues for hit shows from studios to actors, AI guardrails were a key part of talks.
Photo: Bloomberg
The deal “allows the industry to go forward — it does not block AI,” SAG-AFTRA national executive director and chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland told a news conference.
“But it makes sure that performers are protected. Their rights to consent are protected. Their rights to fair compensation and their rights to employment are protected,” he said.
Studios have been experimenting with AI in the past few years, from bringing deceased movie stars back using realistic “digital replicas,” to using computer-generated background figures to reduce the number of actors needed for battle scenes.
Many cost-cutting producers want a growing role for AI, and have begun requiring some performers to take part in high-tech 3D “body scans” on set, often without explaining how or when the images will be used.
Now, an actor must be paid the same rate for any use of their digital replica as they would have earned doing the same “amount of work” on set themselves in real life, Crabtree-Ireland said.
Amid fears that background workers — or “extras” — could be the first to lose their jobs to AI, strict curbs have been put in place.
“No use of a digital replica can be used to evade engagement and payment of a background actor under this contract,” he said.
Studios must gain consent from an actor — or their estate — every time their digital replica is used in any film or TV episode. They cannot present actors with boilerplate contracts entitling them to use a replica in perpetuity, but must instead provide a “reasonably specific description” of how it would be used each time.
AI technology is advancing at breakneck speed, but has never previously been part of the discussions when SAG-AFTRA renegotiates its contract with studios roughly every three years.
SAG-AFTRA president Fran Drescher said it was vital to nail down rules this time, because “in the world of AI, three months is equivalent to a year.”
“So if we didn’t get those barricades, what would it be in three years?” she asked. “It would be so far out of our grasp, we would always be chasing something, but never quite get it.”
The very final, contentious detail to be thrashed out with studios on Tuesday night concerned use of AI to create “synthetic fake performers.”
Referred to by Variety.com as “zombies,” or “digital Frankensteins,” these are constructed using the various body parts of different real actors.
“If you’re using Brad Pitt’s smile and Jennifer Aniston’s eyes, both would have a right of consent,” Crabtree-Ireland told the trade Web site.
He elaborated at Friday’s news conference, explaining that studios are now required to obtain permission from every actor whose features are used.
They are also required to inform SAG-AFTRA each time a “synthetic fake performer” is created. The union would have the right to bargain for compensation on behalf of the actors involved.
Drescher said that AI was a “deal breaker” in the talks, and that the guardrails would not just help actors, but many other entertainment industry professions down the line.
“In a synthetic world, you don’t need hair and makeup people. You don’t need drivers. You don’t need set builders, and so for us to keep holding out for the best AI package that we could get was also going to spill over into what their futures were going to look like.” she said.
Crabtree-Ireland urged politicians to do more to “make AI protections a priority.”
“Our members will be advocating for legislative efforts and will remain actively involved in the movement to protect all individuals’ rights to their likeness,” he said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver