Decades after Mexico’s “dirty war,” the military has obstructed a government investigation into human rights abuses, the official heading the probe said on Wednesday.
Mexican Undersecretary of Human Rights, Population and Migration Alejandro Encinas Rodriguez told a news conference that investigators withdrew last month after discovering military officials were hiding, altering and destroying documents.
Encinas said some officials’ actions contravened a presidential decree granting investigators unfettered access to records.
Asked if individual officials might face criminal charges, he said: “We are investigating this. As soon as we have some clear indication and evidence, of course we will proceed.”
The Mexican Ministry of National Defense did not respond to an e-mail asking for comment.
The inquiry was established in October 2021 under the Mexican human rights department’s commission for truth to investigate human rights violations during the “dirty war” against guerillas, dissidents and social movements in the 1970s and 1980s.
During that time hundreds of people were illegally detained, tortured and kidnapped by the military and security forces.
More than 2,300 direct and indirect victims are still alive today, the inquiry commission said on Wednesday.
David Fernandez Davalos, a member of the commission’s subgroup for historical clarification, said that the defense ministry “continues this cycle of impunity, opacity and injustice” by moving, altering or destroying documents.
Fernandez told reporters that military officials initially withheld documents they claimed were private for reasons of national security, personal privacy or “preserving relations” with other countries.
“Files that we already knew were composed in a certain way were handed over with sheets out of place and notes ripped out,” he said.
Military officials also moved boxes of files so the investigators could not find them and in some cases just flatly denied access to documents, he said.
Other members of the inquiry spoke of success visiting military posts and conducting hundreds of interviews.
In June the subgroup for kidnapped people uncovered the remains of seven people thought to have been killed in 1971 in Guerrero state.
They have since begun analyzing ocean currents and flight paths to find where corpses dumped in the Pacific by the military’s “planes of death” might be today.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver