Japan is to permit the sale of emergency contraceptives without prescription on a trial basis, weeks after it approved the abortion pill.
The move, reported by media yesterday, would bring Japan into line with dozens of countries where the morning-after pill is already available over the counter (OTC).
Current rules require women, including those who have been sexually assaulted, to attend a clinic or hospital for an emergency contraceptive prescription.
Photo: AFP
The drugs are said to be most effective if they are taken within 72 hours after unprotected sex.
A Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare panel approved the sale through March next year at pharmacies staffed by qualified pharmacists who are able to coordinate with nearby obstetrics and gynecology clinics, Kyodo News reported.
The decision to allow over-the-counter sales marks a major policy shift, and comes soon after it approved the abortion pill in April.
Previously, only surgical abortions were available, in the first nine weeks of pregnancy.
Campaigners say the long wait for Japan to approve the abortion pill, which had long been available in more than 70 nations, reflects the low priority the country’s male-dominated parliament and medical community give to women’s sexual health.
Japan took 40 years to approve oral contraceptives, in 1999, but only six months to approve the erectile dysfunction drug Viagra.
Emergency contraceptives, which have an efficacy rate of about 80 percent, are available without a prescription in about 90 countries, the ministry said.
The trial sale enjoys strong public support.
When a health ministry panel invited the public to submit comments last year, more than 90 percent of the 46,312 responses were in favor of pharmacy sales, public broadcaster NHK said.
In 2017, the panel stopped short of approving over-the-counter sales amid fears that the drugs’ easy availability could encourage “irresponsible” behavior.
Medical professionals have called for the drugs to be made more accessible, saying they would increase options for rape survivors and potentially reduce the number of expensive surgical abortions.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term