The head of New Zealand’s public radio station yesterday apologized for publishing “pro-Kremlin garbage” on its Web site after more than a dozen wire stories on the Ukraine war were found to have been altered.
Most of the stories, which date back more than a year, were written by Reuters and were changed at Radio New Zealand (RNZ) to include Russian propaganda. A digital journalist from RNZ has been placed on leave pending the result of an employment investigation.
RNZ chief executive Paul Thompson said it had found issues in 16 stories and was republishing them on its Web site with corrections and editor’s notes.
Photo: AP
He said he was commissioning an external review of the organization’s editing processes.
“It is so disappointing. I’m gutted. It’s painful. It’s shocking,” Thompson said on RNZ’s Nine to Noon show.
“We have to get to the bottom of how it happened,” he said.
Thompson said RNZ had forensically reviewed about 250 stories since first being alerted to the issue on Friday last week and would be reviewing thousands more.
Some of the changes were just a few words and would have been hard to spot by casual readers. Changes included the addition of pro-Kremlin narratives such as “Russia annexed Crimea after a referendum” and that “neo-Nazis had created a threat” to Russia’s borders.
The referendum, which was held after Russia seized control of Crimea, was considered a sham and was not recognized internationally. Russia for years has also tried to link Ukraine to Nazism, particularly those who have led the government in Kyiv since a pro-Russian leadership was toppled in 2014.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, who is Jewish, angrily dismisses those claims.
Former New Zealand prime minister Helen Clark said on Twitter that she expected better from the public broadcaster.
“Extraordinary that there is so little editorial oversight at Radio New Zealand that someone employed by/contracted to them was able to rewrite online content to reflect pro-Russia stance without senior staff noticing,” she wrote. “Accountability?”
Thompson told the Nine to Noon program that typically only one person at the radio station had been required to edit wire service stories because those stories had already been subject to robust editing, but he said RNZ was now adding another layer of editing to such stories.
He said he wanted to apologize to listeners, readers, staff and the Ukrainian community.
“It’s so disappointing that this pro-Kremlin garbage has ended up in our stories,” Thompson told Nine to Noon.
“It’s inexcusable,” he said.
RNZ began as a radio broadcaster, but these days is a multimedia organization and its Web site ranks among the nation’s most viewed news sites.
Reuters did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver