Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Yemen on Monday said that his trip to the Houthi-held capital of Sana’a was aimed at reviving a ceasefire and restarting political talks to end the nine-year conflict.
Mohammed bin Saeed al-Jaber met with Houthi officials in Sana’a on Sunday for talks also attended by Omani officials.
The trip came as talks between Saudi Arabia and the Houthis gained momentum after the kingdom reached a deal with Iran last month to restore their diplomatic ties.
Photo: Reuters
Iran is the Houthis’ main foreign backer in Yemen’s conflict.
Al-Jaber wrote on Twitter that his trip was meant to “stabilize the truce and cease-fire, support the prisoner exchange process and explore venues of dialogue between Yemeni components to reach a sustainable, comprehensive political solution in Yemen.”
His comments were the first by Saudi Arabia on the visit.
Yemen’s conflict began in 2014 when the Houthis seized Sana’a and much of Yemen’s north, ousting the internationally recognized government that fled to the south then into exile in Saudi Arabia.
The Houthi move prompted a Saudi Arabian-led coalition to intervene months later in a bid to restore the government to power.
The Saudi Arabian envoy met with Mahdi al-Mashat, head of the Houthis’ supreme political council, which runs rebel-held areas in Yemen.
Yemeni and Saudi Arabian officials said that Riyadh and the Houthis reached a draft deal last month to revive a ceasefire that expired in October last year.
The deal, brokered by Oman, is meant to usher in a return to political talks, said officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss closed-door negotiations.
One Yemeni official said that the phased roadmap includes lifting the Saudi Arabian-led coalition’s air and maritime blockade on Houthi-held areas, and the rebels would end their siege of Taiz, Yemen’s third-largest city.
The Houthis also accepted security guarantees for Saudi Arabia, including a buffer zone with Houthi-held areas along the Yemeni-Saudi Arabian border, the Yemeni official said.
The Yemeni government and the rebels would also work to unify the country’s central bank, and a mechanism would be established to pay salaries of state employees — including the military — from oil and gas revenues, he said.
The official said that Riyadh promised to support a widespread reconstruction efforts in Yemen where the war devastated its infrastructure and created one of the world’s worst humanitarian disasters.
Spokespeople for the Houthis and the coalition did not respond to requests for comment.
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric on Monday hailed the talks as “a welcome step” that would help settle the conflict and de-escalate regional tensions.
“What we’re seeing is different strands, different parties that have been in tension with each other, have been speaking,” Dujarric said.
The UN was not involved in the Sana’a talks, but “we very much hope that it can contribute to the overall peace efforts led by [UN envoy for Yemen] Hans Gruenberg for the renewal of the truce in Yemen and the restart of the intra-Yemeni political process,” he said.
Yemen’s government has welcomed what it calls Saudi Arabia’s efforts to bring Yemeni parties to the negotiating table to reach a “comprehensive political agreement,” it said in a statement on Sunday.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but