The US Department of the Treasury on Friday issued guidance expanding the range of Internet services available to Iranians despite US sanctions on the country, amid protests around Iran following the death of a 22-year-old woman in custody.
Officials said the move would help Iranians access tools that can be used to circumvent state surveillance and censorship, but would not entirely prevent Tehran from using communications tools to stifle dissent, as it did by cutting off Internet access for most citizens on Wednesday.
“As courageous Iranians take to the streets to protest the death of Mahsa Amini, the United States is redoubling its support for the free flow of information to the Iranian people,” US Deputy Secretary of the Treasury Wally Adeyemo said.
“With these changes, we are helping the Iranian people be better equipped to counter the government’s efforts to surveil and censor them,” he added.
Public outrage in Iran over Amini’s death last week showed no sign of abating after days of protests in Tehran and other cities, with protesters torching police stations and vehicles earlier on Thursday and reports of security forces coming under attack.
Amini, a Kurdish woman, was arrested in Tehran by guidance patrols, known as morality police, for wearing “unsuitable attire” and fell into a coma while in detention. The authorities have said they would investigate the cause of her death.
Internet monitoring group NetBlocks on Thursday said that new mobile Internet disruption has been registered in Iran, where access to social media and some content is tightly restricted. NetBlocks reported “near-total” disruption to Internet connectivity in the capital of the Kurdish region on Monday, linking it to the protests.
Washington has long provided some Internet-related exceptions to its sanctions on Iran, but Friday’s update to the general license seeks to modernize them, the treasury said.
The new license includes social media platforms and video conferencing, and expands access to cloud-based services to deliver virtual private networks, which provide users with anonymity online, and other anti-surveillance tools, said a treasury official who spoke on condition of anonymity.
The license continues to authorize anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-tracking software, the treasury said, and removes a previous condition that communications be “personal” to ease compliance for companies.
Asked how the expanded license would help Iranians if their government again shuts down Internet access, a US Department of State official also briefing reporters said Iran’s government would still have “repressive tools for communication.”
The new license makes it “easier for the Iranian people to confront some of those oppressive tools,” the official said. “It doesn’t mean that they don’t exist anymore.”
SpaceX CEO Elon Musk on Friday responded to a Twitter post from US Secretary of State Antony Blinken about the new license with the comment: “Activating Starlink,” a reference to the firm’s satellite broadband service, already provided to Ukraine during its war with Russia.
Musk on Monday said his company would provide Starlink to Iranians, and would ask for a sanctions exception to do so.
“Our understanding of Starlink is that what they provide would be commercial grade, and it would be hardware that’s not covered in the general license,” the treasury official said. “So that would be something they would need to write into treasury for.”
A state department spokesperson later said of Friday’s updated license that it was self-executing and that “anyone who meets the criteria outlined in this general license can proceed with their activities without requesting additional permissions.”
If SpaceX were to determine that some activity aimed at Iranians requires a specific license, the Office of Foreign Assets Control “would welcome it and prioritize it,” the spokesperson said. “By the same token, if SpaceX determines that its activity is already authorized and has any questions, [the office] also welcomes that engagement.”
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but