When COVID-19 riots rocked the Netherlands for the second time in a year, Ricardo Pronk was there to livestream it all to his followers on social media.
The 50-year-old anti-vaccination activist administered a Facebook group with 10,000 followers, which had shared a call for a demonstration in the port city of Rotterdam on Nov. 19 that later turned violent.
The group, which was recently removed by Facebook, is part of a network of conspiracy theorists and COVID-19-deniers on social media that reached as far as the Dutch parliament, whose influence has sparked concern among experts.
For Pronk, vaccines “are weapons made to kill.”
He also embraces the QAnon conspiracy group’s narrative about “satanic child abuse” by a “globalized elite.”
Yet the unemployed former computer technician, who chose a banner for the group with a lion against a backdrop of flames, rejects any responsibility for the unrest in the Netherlands.
Five people were shot when police opened fire in Rotterdam, and riots spread around the country for the next three days.
“Violence is not the best way, of course not. The best is to do things peacefully,” he said.
In January, during the Netherlands’ worst riots in 40 years over a curfew, and during last week’s unrest, social media were used not only to organize protests, but also to spread disinformation.
“What is unique about the Netherlands is that we have repeatedly seen COVID protests turn into riots just this year,” said Ciaran O’Connor, an analyst at the Institute for Strategic Dialogue in London, which specializes in countering radicalism.
While Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte has branded rioters “scum” and “idiots,” O’Connor pointed the finger at the epidemic of conspiracy theories on the Internet in the Netherlands.
On Facebook alone, the top 125 groups disseminating false information about COVID-19 saw a 63 percent rise in followers in six months, comprising 789,000 members in the country of 17 million people, an Institute for Strategic Dialogue study said.
Telegram groups during this month’s riots were filled with plans for demonstrations, calls for riots, along with messages targeting Muslims, Jews and gay people.
The social media groups “usually don’t call for violence, but they may accept it as part of the solution,” O’Connor said. “The anti-vax and anti-COVID movement is creating a space allowing for other forces to engage and express their frustration in a violent way.”
Authorities in the Netherlands blamed the riots on a variety of culprits, ranging from frustrated young people to soccer hooligans and genuine coronavirus protesters — but they also underlined the importance of social media in organizing them.
In June, Dutch intelligence services said they feared that anti-government demonstrations “are a breeding ground for extremism.”
In a country where 85 percent of adults are vaccinated, the anti-vax movement “is a clear minority group,” said Claes de Vreese, a professor of political communication at the University of Amsterdam.
However, unlike in neighboring countries, “their voice has been strongly amplified by the fact that they have found a political ally in parliament,” namely the Forum for Democracy party.
The leader of the far-right party, Thierry Baudet, has largely dropped his anti-immigration rhetoric to adopt a strong anti-vaccination stance and to promote conspiracy theories.
Baudet has been dubbed the Dutch Donald Trump and one of his tweets was labeled misleading by Twitter ahead of elections in March, a first for a Dutch politician.
One of the party’s lawmakers was recently reprimanded for threatening a fellow lawmaker in parliament with a “tribunal” if the Forum came to power, because of his support for the government’s policies.
O’Connor said that some material was slipping under the radar of social media giants because it was in Dutch.
“Compared to the US or the UK, Twitter or Facebook don’t have the same focus on gatekeeping their platforms against people who use them irresponsibly,” he said.
RE-EDUCATION: The ambassador to Australia told reporters that he understood there ‘might be a process for the people in Taiwan to have a correct understanding of China’ China’s ambassador to Australia yesterday said that Beijing is prepared to use “all necessary means” to prevent Taiwan from being independent, saying there can be “no compromise” on its “one China” principle. Chinese Ambassador to Australia Xiao Qian (肖千) repeatedly told the National Press Club in Canberra that the US was to blame for the recent escalation in tensions, adding that China’s decision to launch ballistic missiles in live-fire exercises in response to US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan was “legitimate and justified.” Xiao said that after a “good start” with the new government of Australian Prime Minister
Newly married and with his first child on the way, auto worker Wang (王) wanted to move into the apartment he bought in Wuhan three years ago, but those hopes were dashed by China’s ballooning property crisis. Saddled with nearly US$300,000 in debt and with his unit nowhere near completion, the 34-year-old decided he had enough and stopped making mortgage payments. He is among numerous home buyers across dozens of cities in China who have boycotted payments over fears that their properties will not be completed by cash-strapped, debt-laden developers. “They said construction would resume soon,” Wang said, only giving his surname. “But
PROPAGANDA LEAFLETS: Seoul voiced ‘strong regret’ as Kim’s sister threatened to eradicate South Korean authorities for sending the virus across the border North Korean leader Kim Jong-un suffered from a “high fever” during a recent COVID-19 outbreak, his sister Kim Yo-jong said yesterday, as she vowed to “eradicate” South Korean authorities if they continued to tolerate propaganda leaflets the regime blames for spreading the virus. Kim Yo-jong blamed “South Korean puppets” for sending “dirty objects” across the border in leaflets carried by balloons, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported. The revelation of her brother’s illness marked an unusual admission for a regime that rarely comments on the leader’s health — and then only to show that he shares the struggles of
A landmark sexual harassment case in China yesterday returned to court after an earlier ruling dealt a blow to the country’s fledgling #MeToo movement. Zhou Xiaoxuan (周曉璇) stepped forward in 2018 to accuse state TV host Zhu Jun (朱軍) of forcibly kissing and groping her during her 2014 internship at the broadcaster. While the case of Zhou, now 29, inspired many others to share their experiences of sexual assault publicly and sparked a social media storm, a court ruled last year there was insufficient evidence to back her allegation. Zhou appealed, and returned to court for another hearing yesterday in Beijing. “I still feel