Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono laid a wreath yesterday at an East Timor cemetery where Indonesian soldiers massacred dozens of pro-independence protestors 14 years ago.
Yudhoyono's visit to the Santa Cruz cemetery was another step towards reconciliation between Indonesia and the territory it occupied for a quarter century, often brutally, before it opted for independence in a UN-sponsored vote.
Indonesian troops opened fire on hundreds of demonstrators who had gathered at the Santa Cruz cemetery in November 1991 to honor pro-independence activist Sebastiao Gomez, who was killed a week earlier by the Indonesian military.
More than 200 people were believed killed in the shooting, which prompted the US to restrict arms sales to Indonesia and suspend the training of Indonesian soldiers.
A planned protest during Yudhoyono's visit to the cemetery with East Timor Foreign Minister Jose Ramos-Horta yesterday did not materialize. He was instead greeted warmly by about 100 East Timorese, some of whom shook his hand.
The Indonesian president, who served in East Timor as a military officer, then moved on to a nearby cemetery for Indonesian soldiers who died during the occupation.
Speaking later after meeting with East Timor parliamentarians, the former general described the tiny country as a "true friend" because, despite its own financial difficulties, it had donated US$75,000 for victims of the Dec. 26 tsunami that devastated northwestern Indonesia.
"A friend in need is a friend indeed. I thank all the people of Timor Leste for their attention during our time of distress," Yudhoyono said.
He told a group of about 100 Indonesians living in East Timor that he felt welcome in the half-island country, where he arrived on Friday for his first visit to Dili since taking office last year.
"I was touched because along the way the people greeted me with enthusiasm. Some people called out my name. This shows that the two countries' relations are excellent," Yudhoyono said.
Yudhoyono had lunch with East Timor President Xanana Gusmao later yesterday before flying back to Indonesia.
Both countries have avoided addressing the military-backed atrocities committed after Indonesia invaded the former Portuguese colony in 1975 and before it pulled out in 1999.
Indonesia withdrew from the territory in a maelstrom of military-backed violence surrounding the UN independence vote. The UN alleged that at least 1,400 people were murdered. Whole towns were razed.
An Indonesian tribunal set up to try military officers and officials for atrocities in East Timor has drawn international criticism for failing to jail any high-ranking Indonesians.
The UN has begun a review of the tribunal, but Dili and Jakarta say the move is unnecessary, preferring to focus on a South African-style truth and reconciliation commission to deal with the past.
On Friday Yudhoyono and East Timor Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri signed a border agreement clarifying 96 percent of their mutual frontier and removing one of the last obstacles to reconciliation.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but