The Supreme Court yesterday upheld lower-court rulings dismissing the case against former National Security Bureau (NSB) officer Liu Kuan-chun (劉冠軍), citing the expiration of the statute of limitations on embezzlement and espionage charges dating back to the 90s.
Liu, a former colonel in the bureau’s Office of General Affairs, oversaw classified funds under Project Feng Tian (奉天專案). Knowing the funds were not subject to standard oversight, he allegedly transferred NT$190 million (US$5.99 million) to his own account and fled to China on Sept. 3, 2000, reportedly taking classified documents with him.
Liu was indicted on Nov. 12, 2003, and the Taipei District Court first heard the case on Nov. 17 the same year.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
In its first-instance ruling on April 30 last year, the Taipei District Court said Liu’s actions occurred before amendments to the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例), under which the statute of limitations is 20 years.
The court said that because Liu remained a fugitive, proceedings could not continue, and the statute of limitations was extended by five years, expiring on Feb. 24 last year.
On appeal, the High Court cited Paragraph 2 of Article 302 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (刑事訴訟法), ruling that dismissal of the case was legally justified and should be upheld.
Project Feng Tian was a special fund available only to the president, excluded from the official government budget and not subject to legislative oversight or audit by the Ministry of Audit.
The president authorized its use for NSB operations.
The fund was terminated in 2002 after Liu absconded with part of the money.
The case also led to litigation against former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) and former China Development Industrial Bank chairman Liu Tai-ying (劉泰英) on graft allegations.
Lee was accused of diverting US$7.79 million from the fund to establish the Taiwan Research Institute, which he used as a private office after leaving office in 2000.
Lee was later cleared of all charges, while Liu Tai-ying served 22 months in prison.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not