Taiwan and Japan today voiced concern over Chinese military activities in the region, after Beijing deployed a large number of vessels across East Asian waters this week in its largest maritime show of force to date.
Reuters yesterday reported that China was deploying a large number of naval and coast guard ships across East Asian waters — at one point more than 100 — citing sources and intelligence reports that it had reviewed.
The Chinese activity was not confined to the Taiwan Strait, but stretched from the Yellow Sea down through waters near the disputed Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台列嶼, also known as the Senkaku Islands in Japan) in the East China Sea, into the South China Sea and the western Pacific, Presidential Office spokesperson Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) told reporters in Taipei.
Photo: Chiu Chih-jou, Taipei Times
“This indeed poses a threat and impact to the Indo-Pacific and the whole region," she said. "We also especially call on China to live up to its responsibilities as a major power and to exercise restraint in its actions."
President William Lai (賴清德) has instructed security forces to maintain full situational awareness and provide timely updates, Kuo said, adding that Taiwan would keep close contact and cooperate with unspecified "friendly partners" to jointly safeguard peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific.
Asked in Tokyo about Chinese activity in the East China Sea, Japanese Minister of Defense Shinjiro Koizumi said that Japan was aware of the reports and was watching Chinese military movements "with great attention."
He declined to comment on the specific deployment.
"China has been expanding and stepping up its military activities in the areas surrounding Japan, and we make a constant effort to gather and analyze information on Chinese military movements with great attention," he told reporters without giving a time frame of the Chinese activities.
"In any event, the government will continue to monitor developments around Japan with deep concern, and will make every effort to ensure thorough information gathering and surveillance," he said.
China's military has not commented, but Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Lin Jian (林劍) said its navy and coast guard activities in "relevant maritime areas" adhered strictly to domestic and international law.
"There is no need for any party to overreact, over-interpret or engage in baseless speculation," he said in Beijing.
November and December are traditionally a busy season for Chinese military exercises, although the People's Liberation Army has not made any announcements of large-scale officially named drills.
The operations exceed China's mass naval deployment in December last year that prompted Taiwan to raise its alert level, the sources said.
The rise in activity is happening as China and Japan are in a diplomatic crisis after Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi last month said that a hypothetical Chinese attack on Taiwan could trigger a military response from Tokyo.
Beijing has also been angered by Lai’s announcement last month of an extra NT$1.25 trillion (US$40 billion) in defense spending to better counter China's threats.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not