Public donations from 795 government-approved fundraising events last year hit a record high NT$7.8 billion (US$235.74 million), up 43.4 percent, or NT$2.37 billion, from the previous year, the Ministry of Health and Welfare said on Monday.
Donations for the earthquake in Hualien on April 3 last year topped the list at NT$1.6 billion, Department of Social Assistance and Social Work Deputy Director-General Yang Ya-lan (楊雅嵐) said.
Department statistics show that the number of government-approved charity events and the amount of money raised has grown annually, with 42.9 percent of the funds raised last year going into social welfare, Yang said.
Photo courtesy of the Tucheng District Office
Donations for foreign aid or international humanitarian assistance comprised 39.95 percent of all donations, she added.
Yang attributed the growth to the transparency of donation information instituted in recent years.
The government continued to advise organizations on how to improve their fundraising methods and use of funds by referring them to professional accountants, Yang added.
Article 17 of the Enforcement Rules of the Charity Donations Destined for Social Welfare Funds Implementation (公益勸募條例施行細則) states that all organizations must make public all details on fundraising events in the previous year by March 31, the ministry said.
The transparency measures have increased public trust in the credibility of such organizations and made them more willing to donate money, she said.
The ministry encouraged the public to verify that the organizations to which they are donating money are legitimate and have been approved by the government, while organizations seeking donations should show documents proving their legitimacy.
Donors should always check whether receipts from donations carry an official serial number and the official designated account from the government, it said.
The government’s Public Donations Management System allows people to check information or data on past fundraising events that have been approved by the government, the ministry said.
They can also see what the funds are being used for, plans for the fund’s usage, amount raised in the past and the results of previous fundraisers, the ministry said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated