Former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲), who is being detained while on trial on corruption charges, had a kidney stone surgically removed yesterday, according to the hospital in Taipei where the surgery was performed.
Escorted by personnel from the Taipei Detention Center, Ko arrived at the hospital at about 7am for preparatory checks before undergoing the surgery.
Doctors removed one small stone in a laser surgery that lasted about 45 minutes, the hospital said in a statement.
Photo: CNA
Sources from the hospital said the stone removed from Ko’s kidney was relatively small at 1cm by 0.5cm, but it would not have easily come out on its own and therefore surgery was necessary.
It described the surgery as successful and said that Ko’s hydronephrosis would improve significantly.
Soon after the procedure, Ko was transferred to a recovery room at 10:23am.
Ko had recently been confirmed to have hydronephrosis, a condition in which urine builds up in the kidneys, sometimes caused by a blockage in the urinary tract.
Ko’s wife, Peggy Chen (陳佩琪), a physician, had repeatedly complained in recent days about the deterioration of her husband’s health and insisted he needed professional medical care or the illness could result in irreversible damage.
After the surgery, Chen thanked the hospital and said doctors suggested that Ko stay in the hospital for one or two nights for further observation, but the patient said he just wanted to stay for one night.
Ko had a double J tube installed to help him feel the need to urinate, the hospital said, adding that the tube would remain in Ko’s body for about five days.
Drugs were also prescribed and a schedule was set up for follow-up checks, the hospital said.
Ko on Sunday was allowed to briefly leave the detention center to receive off-site medical treatment after he reported “feeling unwell.”
He was sent back to the detention center the same day, as doctors determined his condition was “stable” and did not meet the threshold for a hospital stay.
On March 10, he was allowed to leave the detention center to attend the funeral of his father in Hsinchu. His father, Ko Cheng-fa (柯承發), died aged 92 on Feb. 17.
The former Taiwan People’s Party chairman has been detained since September last year.
He was indicted in December last year on charges of bribery, embezzlement and breach of trust dating back to his second term as Taipei mayor from 2018 to 2022 and during his campaign for president in last year’s election.
Ko Wen-je, who denies the charges, made his first appearance at his trial on March 21.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty