Prosecutors yesterday charged former legislator and Mainland Affairs Council deputy minister Chang Hsien-yao (張顯耀) with contravening the Anti-Infiltration Act (反滲透法) for allegedly attempting to interfere in last year’s election.
The Ciaotou District Prosecutors’ Office indictment said that Chang, under direction from China, used fabricated polling data to try and promote Hon Hai Precision Industry Co founder Terry Gou’s (郭台銘) presidential campaign.
Chang was first questioned in the case in January last year and released on bail of NT$1 million (US$30,503).
Photo: Lee Hui-chou, Taipei Times
In the months around the presidential election, the office investigated several cases of Chinese government agencies paying for Taiwan-based individuals and associations to travel to China, where they were encouraged to support specific candidates and parties.
Some of these trips included village and township officials, whose travel expenses were subsidized by Chinese authorities, prosecutors said.
Participants said the trips were organized by China’s Taiwan Affairs Office, and they were asked to repeat pro-unification phrases and encouraged to vote for specific candidates, prosecutors said.
The indictment alleges that Chang followed instructions from Chinese officials to organize election-related events in Taiwan, including fabricating polling data and hosting forums to boost Gou’s campaign.
Chang in a statement released after the indictment denied the accusations, saying that he never met with Chinese officials, had no knowledge of China’s preference for the presidency and used reputable polling companies to gather data.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated