The Ministry of National Defense has ordered the Marine Corps to increase troops stationed in bases in the greater Taipei area to respond to potential strikes from China against the capital, a military source said.
The Marine Amphibious Reconnaissance and Patrol Unit is to join the troops in defending the Tamsui River (淡水河) and Port of Taipei (台北港), the source said on condition of anonymity.
In 2017, the 66th Marine Brigade was stationed at the Political Warfare Academy in Taipei’s Beitou District (北投), the first combat unit to be stationed in Taipei other than the military police, the source said.
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
Assessments of Taipei’s security made the military decide to send further reinforcements, leading to this month’s deployment of marines on the Tamsui River, the source said.
The reconnaissance unit is to work with the Guandu Area Command and the Coast Guard Administration to jointly carry out river defense missions, the source added.
The 66th Marine Brigade must also defend key infrastructure such as the Port of Taipei, the source said, adding that specific arrangements are in place for task forces within the unit.
Although the security of Taipei has been the responsibility of the military police, the security situation required strengthening the area’s defenses and might one day lead to a combined military police-marine corps defense arrangement for Taipei, they said.
The structure and organization of Taiwan’s naval forces would be adjusted next year, military sources have said previously.
These changes include integrating new anti-ship missiles, fast attack boats and reconnaissance units into the newly established Coastal Defense Operations Command, they said.
Furthermore, the Marine Corps’ structure would be adjusted away from heavy equipment in favor of focusing on rapid deployment, with plans to become clearer later this year, they added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated