The Control Yuan on Wednesday ordered the Taipei City Government to take corrective measures, citing a lack of vigilance in managing the Polam Kopitiam food poisoning incident that caused six deaths last year, and its inability to identify the source of the pathogen.
The food poisoning case, which occurred in late March last year, resulted in 33 reported illnesses — including six people who later died — after dining at the Xinyi (信義) branch of the Malaysian restaurant chain in Taipei, the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office said.
Five people connected to Polam Kopitiam, including the owner and chefs of the restaurant, were on Tuesday indicted for negligent homicide.
Photo: Taipei Times
Three Control Yuan members, including Wang Yu-ling (王幼玲), previously proposed corrective measures against the Taipei City Government that were approved on Wednesday by the Control Yuan’s Committee on Social Welfare and Environmental Hygiene Affairs.
After the city government received notification from its counterpart in New Taipei City at noon on March 24 last year regarding two suspected food poisoning cases — one involving a hospitalized patient in shock — it took five hours for the inspectors to arrive at the Xinyi branch and they failed to implement preventive measures, such as recalling or retaining food items, Wang said.
That delay allowed eight more customers to dine at the restaurant that day, all of whom later developed symptoms of food poisoning, Wang added.
The city government’s health bureau has established guidelines that clearly require inspectors to sample items such as suspected food and leftovers related to food poisoning incidents, she said.
However, during two on-site inspections, inspectors from the city government only sampled environmental specimens at the restaurant, such as the chefs’ hand swabs and kitchen tools, despite reports of abnormal bitterness and sourness in the fried flat rice noodles, as well as the hospitalization and death of previous diners, Wang said.
Flat rice noodles were a key ingredient in the dishes consumed by all the victims in the case.
The inspectors’ failure to collect food samples during the critical window for analysis has led to the source of the pathogen that caused the food poisoning — the bacterium Burkholderia gladioli — remaining undetermined, she added.
B. gladioli can produce bongkrek acid, a rare and deadly toxin detected in all victims of the food poisoning incident.
The Taipei Department of Health issued a news release later on Wednesday in response to the Control Yuan’s corrective measures, saying its inspectors immediately inspected the restaurant after receiving notification from its counterpart in New Taipei City at 12:42pm on March 24 last year.
“The inspection was completed at about 5pm the same day, and a work report was promptly drafted, therefore there was no delay in the inspection process,” the statement said.
The department added that during a follow-up inspection on March 25, one of the chefs falsely claimed to inspectors that all flat rice noodles had been properly refrigerated.
However, the prosecutors’ office later discovered that the noodles had been stored on the bottom shelf of a kitchen table at room temperature after the package was opened.
“The business operator’s deliberate concealment and false statements caused frontline personnel to work tirelessly day and night to uncover the truth,” the department said, adding that it would fine the operator NT$3 million (US$91,547) for its contravening of the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法).
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated