Police have issued warnings against traveling to Cambodia or Thailand when others have paid for the travel fare in light of increasing cases of teenagers, middle-aged and elderly people being tricked into traveling to these countries and then being held for ransom.
Recounting their ordeal, one victim on Monday said she was asked by a friend to visit Thailand and help set up a bank account there, for which they would be paid NT$70,000 to NT$100,000 (US$2,136 to US$3,051).
The victim said she had not found it strange that her friend was not coming along on the trip, adding that when she arrived at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport on Dec. 3 last year, she found that she was part of a tour group of eight passengers, five of whom were young men.
Photo: Wang Chieh, Taipei Times
The victim said they were instructed to download the Telegram app and send their “basic information” — including a photograph of their passports and plane tickets — to an unidentified third party.
When the plane landed in Bangkok early the next day, the group of eight was taken away in two cars, the victim said, adding that they changed vehicles three times during the trip and passed multiple checkpoints where soldiers inspected their passports.
The vehicles crossed the Thailand-Cambodia border hours later, and the eight were forced into another car by armed soldiers, the victim said, adding that they were finally placed in a four-story building with two others.
The victim said she and two elderly women were told to call their families and deliver NT$600,000 in ransom, adding that if they failed to follow instructions, they would be buried, poisoned, or sent off to blood farms.
The victim said that when the scamming group relocated and passed by a hospital, she thought she was about to be harvested for organs.
The victim, held for 17 days, shared her experience in the hope that more Taiwanese would not share her fate.
The police said they had not received information about the five young men in the group.
The victim said the young men were forced to work for the scammers by tricking people into investing in cryptocurrencies, adding that they were told they would not be released until they had made US$500,000 for the group.
Separately, a young woman traveling to Thailand was also tricked into leaving with someone who flirted with her after leaving her hotel, the police said, adding that the young woman was later ransomed for more than NT$1 million, paid for by her husband.
The police said another woman, a resident of southern Taiwan, was tricked and only released after paying a ransom of US$100,000.
Magician Wang Yuan-chao (王元照), who helped facilitate negotiations between the parties, said younger victims were often sent off to fraud factories, while middle-aged and elderly victims were usually directly ransomed as they were unable to produce value for the scam groups.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as