The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office today formally charged six people involved in a food poisoning incident at a Polam Kopitiam (寶林茶室) restaurant in March last year.
Six people died and 33 fell ill after ingesting bongkrek acid traced to the restaurant’s noodle dishes between March 19 and 24 at the Far Eastern Sogo Xinyi A13 Department Store.
Prosecutors today said they have charged five people for contravening the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法) and negligence causing death.
Photo: Tien Yu-hua, Taipei Times
The five are franchise owner Li Fang-hsuan (黎仿軒), store manager Wang Shun-te (王順德), substitute cook Ho Ching-fu (胡清富), head chef Chou Jih-hao (周日豪) and an intern surnamed Juan (阮).
Prosecutors said they are seeking a sentence of more than four years for Li, four years and two months for Ho, a heavy punishment for Chou, and “appropriate penalties” for Wang and Juan.
From March 14 to 17, temperatures in Xinyi District (信義) gradually rose before dropping again on March 18, meaning that the store’s air-conditioning system was turned off after business hours, prosecutors said.
Combined with cleaning procedures at the restaurant, which involved washing the kitchen floor with water that drained into a gutter, this created a hot and humid environment conducive to the type of bacteria that can produce bongkrek acid, prosecutors said.
On March 16, Chou, Juan and Ho left a basket of uneaten noodles unrefrigerated, which was then used over the subsequent days to make meals for customers, prosecutors said.
By March 19, when the noodles had been unrefrigerated for more than 63 hours, Ho used them in meals and mixed the contaminated noodles in with other ones, which were also left outside of the store’s refrigerator up until March 24, prosecutors said.
This resulted in 33 people over those few days falling ill, suffering from nausea, diarrhea and other injuries, leading to six deaths, prosecutors said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated