More than one-fifth of Taiwanese adults used TikTok or Douyin (抖音) — the Chinese version of TikTok — at least once during a three-month period last year, a report released by the Ministry of Digital Affairs (MODA) showed.
Last year’s “Taiwan Internet Report” prepared by the ministry’s Taiwan Network Information Center found that 21.67 percent of Taiwanese used the Chinese social media platforms from March to June, with 44.45 percent of them engaging with the apps daily.
However, the annual report also showed that the ByteDance-owned platforms were far less popular among Taiwanese users than market leaders Facebook and Instagram, owned by Meta.
Photo: Reuters
According to the survey data collected from June 19 to June 29 last year, 44.44 percent of the respondents said Facebook was the social media platform they used most often, while 21.12 percent preferred Instagram.
TikTok and Douyin ranked third, with 2.53 percent of respondents saying they used the ByteDance-owned platforms more than others.
Tao Chen-chao (陶振超), a member of the survey’s research team and a professor in National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University’s Department of Communication, said the data collected last year showed social media users were continuing to migrate across platforms.
The “information circulation market” was becoming more fragmented, as Facebook’s popularity declined and users were drawn to other, more niche social media platforms such as Threads, Tao said.
Although the survey was comprehensive, the usage rate for TikTok and Douyin might have been underestimated in the findings, he said.
Respondents might have underreported their engagement with the Beijing-based platforms, as they might have had reservations about telling the researchers that they used platforms that were seen as “tools used by China for propaganda,” he said.
The survey targeted people aged 18 or older.
According to the 298-page report, younger people used TikTok and Douyin more than older people.
In the 18-29 age group, the ByteDance platforms saw the highest usage rate at 34.37 percent. Usage declined progressively in older age groups, at 27.77 percent in the 30-39 range, 23.37 percent in the 40-49 range, 20.19 percent in the 50-59 range and 14.85 percent in the 60-69 range.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as