The Legislative Yuan on Friday cut NT$93.98 billion (US$2.85 billion) from this year’s central government budget during its second-reading review at the Legislative Yuan.
In response, the Cabinet urged the opposition parties to “rein in from the edge of the precipice,” warning the massive cut would seriously affect the government’s efforts in pushing forward its policies.
Lawmakers from the opposition Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) joined hands on the legislative floor to vote for a cut of NT$93.98 billion in the government’s general budget plan in which the Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics (DGBAS) had for this year proposed NT$3.15 trillion in revenue and NT$3.13 trillion in expenditure, a new high, which resulted in a surplus of NT$20.9 billion.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
Previously, the KMT had proposed a cut of NT$111.1 billion in this year’s budget, but the opposition camp eventually agreed upon a smaller cut of NT$93.98 billion.
Lawmakers would tomorrow look into the budget concerning individual cases including a cut of NT$100 billion in subsidies for state-owned Taiwan Power Co (Taipower), which has incurred massive losses and needs the subsidies to improve its financial structure.
The Legislative Yuan has scheduled a full house vote for Tuesday to pass this year’s government budget.
The cut in the second reading on Friday accounted for about 3 percent of the DGBAS-proposed spending.
KMT caucus whip Fu Kun-chi said that even if the budget had been cut by NT$111.1 billion as initially proposed by his party, the reduction would make up about 3.47 percent of the DGBAS-proposed plan, a reduction similar to those in previous years.
The budget reduction includes a 10 percent cut in water and electricity bills and a 60 percent cut in special spending which is largely used by agency chiefs as rewards or relief for employees, while special spending in select agencies of the Cabinet, including the Mainland Affairs Council, the Ministry of Digital Affairs, National Communications Commission, the Ministry of Labor as well as the Control Yuan were all deleted.
Spending on policy promotions to purchase advertisements from all government agencies was cut by 60 percent by the opposition parties on Friday.
Opposition lawmakers also added a requirement that no single media outlet could win bids that would make up more than 5 percent of the promotion spending of any government agency.
Lawmakers also added requirements that the top three media outlets winning policy promotion bids spending not top 10 percent of the particular budget of a government agency.
KMT Legislator Hsu Yu-chen (許宇甄) said the budget cut is appropriate because the DGBAS-proposed expenditure was almost NT$300 billion higher than last year.
However, Democratic Progressive Party caucus whip Ker Chien-ming (柯建銘) said that the cut completely lacked transparency, as the move by the opposition parties failed to go through thorough discussions and negotiations.
The government budget is an important resource for the country’s development and such a reckless cut showed the hateful conduct by opposition lawmakers and they should be recalled, he said.
Cabinet spokesperson Michelle Lee (李慧芝) in a statement said that the budget cut is irrational and would weaken the government’s operations, which need continuation.
Lee, who described the cut as a revenge-like move by the opposition parties, said the cut would prevent Taiwan from collaborating with other countries in critical fields such as technology development, human rights protection, and exchanges in culture, healthcare, sports and diplomacy, economic cooperation and gender equality.
If the opposition camp continues to push for such emotional cuts, the Executive Yuan would seek redress under the law, she said.
According to the Additional Articles of the Constitution, if the Executive Yuan deem a statutory, budgetary or treaty bill passed by the Legislative Yuan difficult to execute, the Executive Yuan may, with the approval of the president within 10 days of the bill’s submission to the Executive Yuan, request the Legislative Yuan to reconsider the bill.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as