About one dozen Chinese ID card applications have been discovered in New Taipei City, Taichung, Yunlin County and Kaohsiung, and have already been transferred to the Ministry of the Interior, National Security Bureau (NSB) Director-General Tsai Ming-yen (蔡明彥) said yesterday.
The investigations came after a video by YouTuber Pa Chiung (八炯) alleged that up to 200,000 Taiwanese had obtained Chinese ID cards in the past decade, which they filed for while in Taiwan.
Photo: Liu Hsin-de, Taipei Times
The bureau is aware of cases of Taiwanese applying for Chinese IDs and has received a large amount of intelligence that must be verified before being referred to the judicial authorities, Tsai told lawmakers at a meeting of the Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee.
Most cases involve Taiwanese citizens and those who encouraged others to apply for Chinese ID cards online might face criminal charges, Tsai added.
The claim that 200,000 Taiwanese already possess Chinese ID cards is exaggerated, and only about a dozen cases have been found by the NSB so far, with a few more identified by the Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau, he added.
Separately, Minister of the Interior Liu Shyh-fang (劉世芳) said 12 people are under investigation for having Chinese ID cards, one of whom has already had their household registration revoked, while another has been notified, but the process might be slightly delayed due to mail delivery issues.
The identity of the person whose registration has been revoked cannot be revealed due to personal data protection laws, Liu added.
In other news, a lieutenant surnamed Lin (林) of the 53rd Army Engineer Group’s Support Battalion on Dec. 19 last year showed Pa’s “China’s ‘united front’ documentary” during a broadcast of Juguang Garden (莒光園地).
Lin also told soldiers that the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the Taiwan People’s Party were connected to the Chinese Communist Party.
Asked whether the lieutenant’s actions, and bringing of societal and political ideologies into the military was appropriate, Tsai said that the military must remain politically neutral in accordance with the National Defense Act (國防法).
Tsai said he would need to further understand the case before being able to comment.
Additional reporting by Lee Wen-hsin
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated