The High Court has ruled on the case of two men who transported narcotics by car, plane and ferry in January last year, upholding the sentence handed down by a lower court to one defendant, while slightly reducing the sentence of the other.
The High Court’s Kaohsiung branch ruled on Tuesday that a defendant surnamed Hsu (許) must serve the seven-year-and-two-month sentence handed down by a lower court, while a second defendant surnamed Chuang (莊) had his six-year-and-two-month sentence reduced to six years.
The High Court’s judgement, prompted by appeals from the defendants, followed a ruling by the Penghu District Court on June 26 last year.
Photo: Taipei Times
The High Court said that a detailed ruling would be published in due course.
The case can still be appealed.
Hsu and Chuang were found guilty of category II narcotics offenses under the Narcotics Hazard Prevention Act (毒品危害防制條例).
Police discovered around 572g of amphetamines, along with electric measuring scales and a packaging sealing machine, when they conducted searches of Hsu’s residence and vehicle on Jan. 6 last year.
They also found 15 “coffee bags” weighing about 57g in total that contained narcotics.
After being questioned by investigators, Hsu and Chuang were formally taken into investigative detention on Jan. 8 last year.
The Penghu District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Hsu and Chuang on March 4, while the case of a third suspect, a minor surnamed Lu (呂), was transferred to the juvenile court division for a separate trial.
According to the district court, on Jan. 4 last year, Hsu and Lu flew from the island county of Penghu to Kaohsiung to meet up with Chuang, who had taken Hsu’s car to the southern city on the Penghu Ferry.
The three then drove to New Taipei City on the same day and stayed the night at a motel in Linkou District (林口).
The next day, Hsu purchased more than 500g of amphetamines and about 50g of ketamine.
Afterwards, Hsu and Lu flew back to Penghu with some of the narcotics, while Chuang drove the rest back to Kaohsiung, before taking the car ferry back to Penghu, the court said.
Police learned about the plan to purchase and illegally transport the narcotics, because they had been monitoring Hsu’s phone, court documents showed.
Hsu, who financed the drug purchase, had been a suspect in multiple previous drug investigations, the court said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a