The Central Weather Administration (CWA) issued cold surge advisories for the northern and central parts of Taiwan today with persistent low temperatures expected in the former.
"Orange alerts," which warn of sustained temperatures around or below 10°C, or dropping below 6°C, have been issued for Taipei, New Taipei, Taoyuan, Keelung City, Hsinchu County and Yilan County, the CWA said.
"Yellow alerts" warning of the temperature dropping below 10°C have been issued for Taichung as well as Miaoli, Changhua, Nantou and Yunlin counties. The CWA said these areas may also experience a significant day-night temperature difference.
Photo: Taipei Times file photo
Daytime highs are expected to hover at 12-14°C in northern Taiwan, and reach 17-21°C in central Taiwan, southern Taiwan, Hualien County and Taitung County, said the CWA.
Meanwhile, temperatures would range between 13-15°C in Penghu, 9-14°C in Kinmen and 7-8°C in Matsu, according to the CWA.
The CWA also forecast sporadic showers in Taoyuan and areas further north, the Hengchun Peninsula, eastern Taiwan and mountainous regions in western Taiwan.
The CWA added that there is also a chance of snow in mountainous areas higher than 2,000 meters in the north and northeast, and those higher than 2,500m in central Taiwan.
The CWA also warned of strong winds along the coast from Taoyuan to Yunlin and the Hengchun Peninsula, as well as in outlying Penghu, Matsu, Orchid Island and Green Island. Gusts up to 75 kilometers per hour are expected.
Other parts of the country are also likely to see strong winds, the CWA said.
At the weather station in Yushan, also known as Jade Mountain, around 0.5 centimeters of snow fell between 7:20am and 8:05am, the CWA said, warning of icy road conditions in mountainous areas.
The lowest temperature recorded in low-lying areas so far this morning was 7.9°C in New Taipei's Shiding District, according to the CWA.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as