Officials yesterday vowed to enhance patrols in key offshore areas in response to the cutting of an undersea Internet cable last week by the Cameroon-registered, Hong Kong-owned freighter Shunxing-39 (順興39號), while Keelung prosecutors said they have opened an judicial investigation into the incident.
Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) yesterday said the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) has gathered data about the incident, including the course taken by Shunxing-39, and given it to the Keelung District Prosecutors’ Office.
“The CGA has recorded all of Taiwan’s undersea cables, their landing points onshore and the respective offshore areas, to compile onto marine maps. These are the priority sectors for marine patrol and surveillance by CGA vessels,” Lee said at a news conference following the Cabinet meeting.
Photo: Taipei Times
“In case of a future similar incident of ships undertaking suspicious activities and causing damage to undersea cables, we shall take the same measures — gathering evidence and marine tracking data, and prosecuting those found responsible,” she added
The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) at a separate news conference said that it cannot rule out the severing of the Trans-Pacific Express cable as being part of China’s “gray zone” tactics.
“China has caused problems around the world, with Chinese ships registered abroad and flying other countries’ flags suspected of deliberately cutting undersea cables. Last year, they damaged cables in the Baltic Sea, prompting an investigation by Sweden, Finland and other nearby countries,” MAC Deputy Minister and spokesperson Liang Wen-chieh (梁文傑) said.
“Taiwan also had to deal with numerous incidents of undersea cables being cut in waters around Kinmen and Lienchiang counties. Our government has to take a serious stance regarding these situations,” Liang said.
A formal request for assistance was also sent to South Korea, as heavy seas had prevented coast guard personnel from boarding the Shunxing-39 last week, which has since set course to Busan.
The MAC said it was a Chinese vessel owned by Jie Yang Trading Ltd, a Hong Kong company headed by Chinese citizen Guo Wenjie, has seven Chinese crewmembers, and is registered as Shunxing-39 in Cameroon and Xingshun-39 in Tanzania.
Guo denied the ship’s involvement in the cutting of the cables, but confirmed it had been in the area.
“There is no evidence at all,” he said. “I spoke to the ship captain and for us, it was a normal trip.”
Hong Kong’s records showed the company had been set up in 2020, with Guo as the sole director. Its listed address was a single room in a cosharing office space for a secretarial services company in an industrial building.
China’s Taiwan Affairs Office in a written statement on Wednesday said, globally, there were more than 100 incidents of damage to undersea cables annually, and that they are “common maritime accidents.”
With the facts still unclear, Taiwan is making accusations “out of thin air” and intentionally hyping up the “so-called ‘gray zone’ threat from the mainland,” it added.
The CGA said it was not yet able to gauge the ship’s “real intention.”
The vessel had lingered in waters off northern Taiwan since early last month until its signal was turned off on Friday last week, data showed.
Guo declined to specify why the ship had remained in the area or the purpose of the voyage, but said authorities had only sought details of its GPS movements.
“I don’t understand why there has been so much news about this. The ship had dropped anchor, so it had stopped in the nearby waters,” he said. “We followed the rules and normal procedures. If not, then Taiwan would have investigated and detained us.”
Additional reporting by Reuters
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated