SOCIETY
Book fair opens Feb. 4
The 33rd Taipei International Book Exhibition is to open on Feb. 4 and run until Feb. 9 at the Taipei World Trade Center’s Exhibition Hall 1, organizers said yesterday. To meet this year’s theme, “Follow Your Fancy in Reading,” organizers are presenting a visual narrative created in a collaboration with illustrators and graphic designers, the exhibition’s Web site says. Ministry of Culture Department of Humanities and Publications head Yang Ting-chen (楊婷媜) said this year’s event is to have an Italian focus. More than 400 talks are scheduled for the exhibition and people can participate for free, it said. People aged 18 to 22 can use the ministry’s “culture point tokens” to enter the book fair, while children aged 13 to 15 would receive 600 culture points upon admittance, it said.
Photo: Screen grab from Taipei International Book Exhibition’s Web site
DEFENSE
Satellite no threat: ministry
The Ministry of National Defense yesterday said a satellite launched by China that flew over Taiwan posed no threat given its altitude at the time. The ministry said in a news release that the satellite was launched at 4am yesterday from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in China’s Sichuan Province. The satellite flew over Taiwan, heading westward over the Pacific Ocean, it said. However, as the satellite flew beyond the Earth’s atmosphere, the ministry said the launch posed no threat to Taiwan. It added that it would continue to monitor threats and remain ready to respond to any that arise.
CRIME
Cop charged with sex abuse
A police officer in Taipei accused of sexually abusing his underage daughter was yesterday indicted on hundreds of sex-abuse charges. The Shilin District Prosecutors’ Office said in a statement that the officer, surnamed Cheng (鄭), was charged with 348 counts for having sex with his daughter over a seven-year period from 2010 to 2017. Cheng in May last year was released on NT$100,000 bail a month after his daughter reported the alleged abuse to the Taipei City Police Department. The National Police Agency suspended him from duty. Later yesterday, the department said that Cheng’s suspension would be re-evaluated based on the indictment and that he could be dismissed.
CRIME
Sentence raised after appeal
The Taiwan High Court yesterday raised the sentence of a man who was found guilty last year of sexually assaulting minors while teaching at a private preschool in Taipei to 28 years and eight months in prison. Mao Chun-shen (毛畯珅) was found guilty of nine counts of sexual assault by penetration, 203 counts of indecent assault and 14 counts of filming obscene images committed from 2021 to 2023, the court said in a news release. The cumulative sentences for the 226 criminal counts total 1,291 years, and Mao must serve a prison term of 28 years and eight months, it said. The former preschool teacher was originally handed a 28-year jail term by the Taipei District Court in August last year for 224 criminal counts totaling 1,252 years and six months, a ruling Mao appealed. High Court spokesman Wang Ping-hsia (王屏夏) said that after a review, a few adjustments were made to the case, including finding him guilty on one count of which he had originally been acquitted. Considering that Mao’s actions severely damaged the victims’ physical and mental health, as well as the trauma caused to their families, the High Court ruled to raise his jail sentence, which can still be appealed, Wang said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as