Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Eric Chu (朱立倫) has lent support for the Taiwan People’s Party’s (TPP) plan to take to the streets of Taipei next Saturday to “demand judicial justice from the government.”
TPP Acting Chairman and Legislator Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) announced on Friday that the party would mobilize its rank-and-file members nationwide for a rally on Saturday at Liberty Square (自由廣場) to show their solidarity with the party’s embattled former chairman Ko Wen-je (柯文哲).
Huang accused the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) of interfering with judicial and prosecutorial matters, and urged the public to “stand up against [the DPP’s] authoritarianism” through protests.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
The announcement came hours after the Taipei District Court ordered Ko, who has been embroiled in corruption allegations, to be detained again during his third bail hearing on Thursday.
Ko, 65, was indicted on Dec. 26 last year on charges of bribery and other forms of corruption in connection with real estate dealings during his second term as Taipei mayor from 2018 to 2022.
He was also charged with embezzling political donations to the TPP during the presidential election last year.
The TPP has denounced the case as “political persecution.”
The two-time former mayor who ran for president last year resigned on Wednesday from the party he founded in 2019, passing the baton to Huang.
Via a social media post on Friday, Chu said he would “give his full support” to those expressing their discontent with the DPP on Saturday.
However, he did not say whether his party would participate in the TPP protest.
Chu also blamed the DPP for the Constitutional Court’s recent decisions to put restrictions on the use of the death penalty and to revoke a bulk of the KMT-endorsed measures that would have granted the legislature broader investigative powers.
On the other hand, New Power Party Chairwoman Claire Wang (王婉諭), criticized Huang’s plans as “undermining the judiciary.”
Wang, a legislator from 2020 to last year, said she opposed any political party protesting under the banner of “political persecution” and “treating the judicial system as an enemy,” adding that such actions would jeopardize democratic institutions.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as