The government should amend the Gender Equality in Employment Act (性別平等工作法) and corporations must be transparent in their handling of reports of sexual harassment, the Nuan Nuan Sunshine Association and Citizen Congress Watch told a news conference yesterday.
An alleged sexual assault by a McDonald’s supervisor exposed a lack of preventive efforts and follow-up procedures at large corporations, the groups said.
A former McDonald’s employee aged 17 last month committed suicide following the alleged incident involving a supervisor surnamed Lee (李) at a Taipei restaurant.
Photo courtesy of Citizen Congress Watch
The incident shows the trauma that people feel from sexual violence, the groups said.
There were 343,000 people affected by sexual harassment or assault in 2023, but more than half remained silent, the groups said, citing a Ministry of Labor poll.
The numbers show that pre-emptive measures are ineffective and do not offer adequate protection for those affected, they said.
People often find it hard to speak out because the harasser is in a position of power, Nuan Nuan said, adding that public stereotypes of what “perfect victims” should look and sound like often mean reports are not submitted.
The government should amend Article 13 of the act and the Regulations for Establishing Measures on Prevention of Sexual Harassment in the Workplace (工作場所性騷擾防治措施準則) to require employers to refer cases to a counselor, or a medical or social welfare establishment within seven days of receiving the complaint, the groups said.
The Ministry of Labor should follow up on the cases, regularly review corporate guidelines and consult third-party experts, they added.
Large corporations should review and publish their internal sexual harassment prevention guidelines and training regimen, the groups said.
Separately, McDonald’s Taiwan yesterday addressed the situation involving Lee.
It “expresses its sincerest apology to the victim and her family,” McDonald’s Taiwan said, adding that it had failed in taking “preventative action before [the alleged incident] happened and the handling was not timely nor comprehensive enough.”
The employee reported an initial incident on March 3 last year, the company said, adding that the authorities are investigating and it has turned over all relevant information.
On March 25, she filed a sexual assault complaint with the company, it said, adding that an internal investigation found evidence substantiating her claims.
McDonald’s Taiwan denied that it was de-escalating the issue by saying that she had a relationship with the former manager and added that he is not related to McDonald’s Taiwan chairman Lee Chang-lin (李昌霖).
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as