The navy and air force yesterday began selecting personnel to send abroad for tactics, drone component replacement and ship-borne combat systems training in preparation for operating US-purchased platforms.
According to the Ministry of National Defense public budget report, the Navy Command Headquarters is to select two officers to visit the US, learn how to operate the combat management system for light cruisers and compile the lessons into a manual for training officers locally.
The air force is to dispatch 101 officers to the US, 65 of which are to train in tactics for F-16 jets and 36 are to train in replacing components and maintaining MQ-9B Reaper drones, the report said.
Screen grab from Lockheed Martin’s Web site
Fighter pilots are to train in the US for one year, while drone operators would stay for nine months and are expected to return by early October, it said.
The air force is also dispatching representatives to Lockheed-Martin and General Atomics, the manufacturers of the F-16 C/D block 70 jets and MQ-9B Reaper drones respectively, to ensure the platforms would be delivered on time next year and in 2027.
In October last year at a meeting of the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee, Minister of National Defense Wellington Koo (顧立雄) said that the air force would need to make a three-phase plan to accommodate delays in F-16 deliveries.
The Reaper drone has been delayed, because legislators have questioned the military’s plan to place all four of the drones in the same hangar, putting them at risk of being destroyed in a single strike in an attack.
The committee froze NT$500 million (US$15.25 million) from the budget until the ministry issued a report addressing the situation to the legislature’s satisfaction, the ministry’s budget report for this year showed.
Separately, the navy’s light cruisers are being built domestically. The keel of an anti-air variant was laid in November last year.
Jong Shyn chairman Han Pi-hsiang (韓碧祥) said that construction of the variant has exceeded expectations and should be delivered to the navy by next year after sea trials.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated