A baseball coach at a Taichung elementary school has been fired and an investigation launched over the alleged molestation of dozens of children under his care, local authorities said yesterday.
The allegations were made public at a news conference yesterday morning attended by Taichung City Councilor Chiang Ho-shu (江和樹) and two mothers of children at the school.
Parents had noticed changes in their children’s behavior, and, after asking about it, learned that they had allegedly been touched by the coach of their school baseball team, Chiang said.
Photo: CNA
The parents notified the school and Taichung police, he said.
Taichung police opened an investigation into the matter, he said.
After being summoned for questioning, the coach attempted to commit suicide, Chiang said.
After arresting the coach, police allegedly found videos of a sexually explicit nature on his phone and identified at least 25 children in them — from second to sixth grade — as well as some who are now in junior-high school, Chiang said.
As the coach had been at the school for six years, he might have targeted as many as 100 children, Chiang said.
The coach was convicted of forced indecency in 2012 and given a five-year suspended sentence, Chiang said.
He was hired by the school in 2019, he added.
“How defective is the Education Bureau’s hiring process that it was unable to screen out a sexual predator?” Chiang asked.
One of the mothers described the horror of having to identify her child in one of the videos to police.
“Every day we sent him to school. It is like we were personally delivering him to hell,” she said.
Taichung Bureau of Education Director Chiang Woei-min (蔣偉民) said that the school had immediately suspended the coach after being contacted by the parents on Oct. 26.
He was then fired on Nov. 11, he said.
When the school hired the coach in 2019, it checked the Ministry of Education’s database of people prohibited from working in education and did not find any red flags, he said.
However, the Ministry of Justice uploaded new records to the system in 2021, and it is still being determined whether the school conducted regular follow-up checks via the database as is legally required, Chiang Woei-min said.
The Taichung Police Department said the criminal record checks it issues typically do not include information on suspended sentences, as long as the person did not violate the terms of their probation.
At a city council meeting, Taichung Mayor Lu Shiow-yen (盧秀燕) said the coach is in the custody of prosecutors, who have filed a legal motion to hold him in detention incommunicado as the investigation proceeds.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as