The government’s position of welcoming Chinese tourists remains unchanged, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday, following Shanghai Deputy Mayor Hua Yuan’s (華源) comments that the city administration would promote group tours to Taiwan.
“People across the Taiwan Strait are a family. The more frequently we visit each other, the closer we become,” Hua told the participants of the annual Taipei-Shanghai Twin-City Forum in Taipei.
“I invite Taiwanese to visit Shanghai and hope Shanghainese can visit Taiwan more often. We will promote group tours to Taiwan among Shanghai residents, and travel itineraries would definitely include Taipei,” he said.
Photo: Taipei Times
Hua’s statement was perceived as a signal that China would soon allow Shanghai residents to visit Taiwan.
The Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism in August gave permission to residents of China’s Fujian Province to visit Kinmen and Lienchiang (Matsu) counties. Beijing still imposes a travel ban on Taiwan proper.
“We are not sure whether the Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism or Shanghai has the final say [in lifting the travel ban to Taiwan]. Nevertheless, the government’s position of welcoming the arrival of Chinese tourists remains unchanged,” the council said in a statement.
The council said it had on Aug. 24 announced plans of resuming cross-strait tourism, and agencies are ready to do that.
It said it is waiting for an official announcement of details from the Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
China’s Taiwan Affairs Office last month said Beijing would consider lifting the travel ban to Taiwan proper and Penghu County if the Taiwanese government lifts a ban on group tours to China and removes what it calls the barriers impeding exchanges and partnerships for people across the Taiwan Strait.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications said that Beijing has yet to show any goodwill in terms of tourism, as more Taiwanese visit China than Chinese visiting Taiwan.
China allows its Fujian residents to visit Matsu and Kinmen individually or in groups, the Tourism Administration Director-General Chou Yung-hui (周永暉) said, adding that the administration welcomes tourists from other provinces as well.
“We continue to implement cross-strait tourism exchange in accordance with the principle of reciprocity and review the policy by taking into account the status quo,” he said.
High Quality of Travel Association public relations representative Ringo Lee (李奇嶽) said that travel operators are ready to accept Chinese tourists.
“We also hope that the government would soon lift the group tour ban to China, and in doing so the cross-strait tourism would continue to develop in a normal direction,” Lee said.
Chinese tourists used to spend about seven to eight days traveling in Taiwan, regardless of which airport they entered, he said.
While all international tourists would visit Taipei during their tours in Taiwan, a majority of them — 80 percent — would only stay in the capital, Lee said.
Chinese tourists were more likely than others to travel to tourist attractions in central, southern and eastern Taiwan, and their visits can directly help tourism in those regions, he said.
How much Taiwan would benefit from the visits of Shanghai tourists depends on the tension between Taiwan and China, Lee said, adding that more Chinese tourists would come if tensions ease.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and