Taipei Municipal Zhongshan Girls’ High School yesterday pushed back against “objectifying” remarks Chinese Internet users made about its students after Chinese table tennis champion Ma Long (馬龍) visited the school last month.
Ma toured the school as part of a cross-strait exchange organized by the Ma Ying-jeou Foundation, but Chinese social media users said it was like “a monk entering the den of spider demons.”
The comments were referring to a scene in the novel Journey to the West during which a coven of succubus-like spirits attempted to tempt and devour the monk-pilgrim Xuanzang (玄奘).
Photo: Screen grab from Tsai Ing-wen’s Facebook page
School principal Chang Yun-fen (張云棻) yesterday said the school condemns the inappropriate comments and untruthful stories about its students on social media and certain news outlets.
“The faculty and parents of this school reject the inappropriate language used to objectify women and condemn the harmful comments,” she said. “Targeting innocent Zhongshan students can never be tolerated.”
The school has taken the necessary measures to deal with the incident and sternly warned against false reports on the students’ conduct during the Chinese Olympian’s visit, she added.
The Zhongshan Girls’ High School parents’ association also issued a statement saying the spread of images showing some of the students and the exaggerations by Chinese outlets have caused emotional distress and reputational harm.
Foundation chief executive Hsiao Hsu-tsen (蕭旭岑) said that the public should refrain from politicizing the incident over improper remarks made by random Internet users.
Separately, former president Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文), who is an alumna of the school, yesterday attended an event celebrating the school’s 127th anniversary and told the students they should aspire to be “women who can brave the world.”
Women must not allow themselves to be defined or limited by others, she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as