Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) is unlikely to attempt an invasion of Taiwan during US president-elect Donald Trump’s time in office, Taiwanese and foreign academics said on Friday.
Trump is set to begin his second term early next year.
Xi’s ambition to establish China as a “true world power” has intensified over the years, but he would not initiate an invasion of Taiwan “in the near future,” as his top priority is to maintain the regime and his power, not unification, Tokyo Woman’s Christian University distinguished visiting professor and contemporary Chinese politics expert Akio Takahara said.
Photo: Reuters
Takahara made the comment at a symposium in Taipei by National Chengchi University’s Institute of International Relations to discuss the potential impact of Trump’s return to the White House on Indo-Pacific countries, including Taiwan.
He highlighted Xi’s shift from telling former US president Barack Obama that the Pacific Ocean is big enough for the US and China, to telling US President Joe Biden last year that the world can accommodate the two countries.
Viewing the Pacific Ocean from China’s perspective, Xi sees unifying Taiwan as essential, not only as a “very nationalistic target,” but also as a way to break through the first island chain and secure an advantage in the strategic competition with the US, Takahara said.
“When Xi Jinping finds that it is better to attack Taiwan to maintain power, then I think he will attack — but that is not tomorrow, that is not next year, that is not 2027,” he said, adding that the Chinese president is likely to continue his current strategy of “winning without fighting,” which relies on economic and cultural infiltration in Taiwan.
If Trump does not change the US-Taiwan policy “in a big way,” then Xi would most likely refrain from using military force against Taiwan during his second term, Takahara said.
“Attacking Taiwan is too risky,” as such action would severely damage China’s economy and “certainly undermine the source of his [Xi’s] legitimacy to rule,” he said.
In the event of a “no-reason invasion” by China, the US is likely to intervene with support from Japan, provided its Taiwan policy remains unchanged, he added.
Echoing Takahara, Sam Houston State University Department of Political Science associate professor Dennis Weng (翁履中) said that under the Trump administration, there would be no war or military conflicts between Taiwan and China, as Trump strongly opposes military confrontation.
“He will utilize all kinds of bargaining or all kinds of negotiations” to prevent a Taiwan-China war from happening,” Weng said.
Although China is unlikely to initiate an invasion of Taiwan in the next four years, Beijing would utilize “some other tools in their toolbox,” such as cutting off trade deals with Taiwan and further isolating it by “taking away” its remaining diplomatic allies, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as