The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday said enterovirus activity remained high, with 26,426 hospital visits last week, and a second local case of measles was confirmed on Monday — a man who had close contact with the first case reported last week.
Enterovirus hospital visit numbers were still high, but they were about the same level as the previous week, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said.
While small children aged four or younger accounted for most of the cases at 45.8 percent, the percentage of older children aged 10 to 14 who were infected have increased slightly over the past few weeks, Guo said.
Photo: CNA
CDC Deputy Director-General and spokesperson Tseng Shu-hui (曾淑慧) said no severe enterovirus cases were reported last week, but with hospital visits remaining high, the center’s simulation model predicts the peak would fall in the middle of this month, with possibly up to 30,000 hospital visits per week.
National Taiwan University Hospital’s Pediatric Infection Disease Division director Lu Chun-yi (呂俊毅) said that the number of severe enterovirus cases and deaths have been relatively low this year, but with the forecast increase in infections, caregivers should remain alert to signs of potential severe complications.
These signs include sleepiness, poor consciousness and low vitality — not the tiredness associated with a common cold, but including asymmetric limb weakness, he said.
Other signs include myoclonic jerks, or brief, sudden and involuntary muscle contractions or twitches, persistent vomiting, and rapid breathing or heartbeat, he said.
If a child with enterovirus infection shows any of these signs, which could imply neurological complications, their caregiver should immediately take them to a hospital for emergency treatment, he said.
There are more than 100 enteroviruses, so even if one has received an enterovirus 71 vaccine, they can still get infected with other strains, Lu said.
The disease is literally called “intestinal virus” (腸病毒) in Mandarin, but enterovirus infection is not gastroenteritis, so it would not cause gastrointestinal symptoms, he said, adding that common symptoms of enterovirus infection include oral ulcers and blisters on the hands and feet.
Enterovirus infection can be effectively prevented by thoroughly washing hands with soap, scrubbing all surfaces of the hands for at least 20 seconds, he said.
Using alcohol-based hand sanitizers is less effective, but can still reduce germs and the viral load, so it is an option only when water and soap are not available, he said.
Meanwhile, Gou said a new case of locally acquired measles was confirmed on Monday — a man in his 20s living in northern Taiwan who shared an apartment with the first case — a man in his 30s — reported on Friday last week.
CDC physician Lin Yung-ching (林詠青) said the latest case first exhibited cold-like symptoms and later developed rashes from the face to the torso and limbs.
Measles is a highly contagious viral disease, and a person with measles can on average infect 12 to 18 people who are not immune to the disease, he said.
After being diagnosed with measles, the man is self-isolating at home, Guo said.
Tseng said the two cases are considered a cluster, and 328 people who have had close contact with them would be monitored for symptoms until Dec. 21.
They should avoid having close contact with infants, pregnant women and people with weaker immunity during this period, she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as